Launching a new ISP ? Business scheme and planning .

• Thread starter Thread starter Nikhil Soni
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 19,998
Hey rj27,
if I'm not late here I want to add a few questions in the discussion.
1)Consider that I have a leased line of STM 1(155 Mbps) then how many users can I connect using that leased line at 5 Mbps per user using the 20:1 contention ratio.
2)Also could you suggest how many antennas are required and how many towers are to be rented to install the antennas for an area of around 4to5 Km radius where average height of house is 12 meters?
3) Thus finally how much approximate investment will be needed in an area of 5 Km radius if optical fiber or wireless ISP is setup?

@H Koyang I wouldn't recommend you to enter telecom/BB business considering the price dilution happening in the Indian market.

@Bsnl Super User
Hey thanks for the suggestion however I would still appreciate all the information regarding starting an isp. I've found out that the cat C isp license is not very costly and the trai has or more specifically Bsnl has reduced it's leased line connections cost by around 60% if I'm not mistaken. Check: TRAI slashes ceiling tariffs by 60% for bandwidth

Also there is only Bsnl where I live and there service is expensive unlike other ISPs in major cities of India.

There will be risk like free/cheap data by Gio4g and other mobile 4G services. Still considering that I just want to gather every information regarding starting an isp please help me out

why don't you start as a small WISP

you can take franchisee (basically reseller) of an ISP they would also provide you consultation about whole setup

Few months ago I tried exactly what you have suggested and almost got into a deal with some Wiber. But they showed me a monthly tarrif plans which I thought was not good enough to sell. It seemed too expensive for a couple of GBs of data and the franchise owner was not willing to make changes and I dropped the idea.
I've now decided to try and own a company and register for a cat C ISP license and start in a very small area like 2 to 3 Kms radius. That's why I'm trying to gather all the information I can before venturing into the business. I've already found the agencies that help register for a pvt lmt company and then to get a cat C isp licence.
I'm not a tech expert but right now I think for me the most important question is 'how many users can be connected at 5 Mbps speed per user using a leased line say a 155 Mbps, if I followed the 20:1 contention ratio?'
If I find out this then I can guess how many users I might have and whether it will profit me or not. I can then decide to go ahead or to drop the idea of isp.

Hi, I may sound really Silly by asking this but I have a query regarding ISP equipment. In the previous posts it is mentioned that 5Mhz AP CPE is better and that antennas(sectoral) easily cover around 5 km distance. I'm just curious how much bandwidth they support or do they just support all ranges of bandwidth. Also how many users will be enough to cause a congestion on the each antenna. Say if there is 500 or 1000 users connected in an area covered by a particular one antenna(sectoral) then will it be congested?
I'll be looking forward to your valuable answers. Thanks in advance.

What happens to the local ISPs when reliance launches it's Jio fiber broadband? It will wipeout the local wired ISPs and wireless ISPs of all categoryies A, B and C?
Is there any chance for current ISPs to survive?