India Blocks: Mass blocking of web services by Indian Government

• Thread starter Thread starter sTrOnTiaBOnd
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 143
  • Views Views 32,412
You mean the "this site has been blocked as per directions of high court blah blah...." msg? refreshing the https links a few times always solved this issue and the main page of the site always used to load.But since today ,even the main page is not loading,just blank.

Also,the 'blocked' msg only appears if you use http only.

check source. you would probably see a message with link on airtel domain.

the domain is using cloudflare. airtel blocks the traffic between cloudflare's local servers and your computer. which means it affects all users who access the website from indian IPs.

I;m sure many other sites also use cloudflare,right? how come they are not blocked? confusing....

Any way to bypass this ?

the domain appears to be https only right now.
it's using cloudflare. cloudflare has servers in india. and these servers are apparently using airtel connectivity.
airtel is blocking this domain on these servers. so an empty page is served to cloudflare because you are accessing it from india.
the same content is then served by cloudflare to you because this is what they are getting from their own servers because airtel is tampering with that data.

you really have no choice but to use a proxy/VPN that accesses the website from an non-indian ip because cloudflare blocks it on all indian isps.

how come they are not blocked?

a lot of torrent/filesharing sites using cloudflare are blocked similarly on all isps even if the isp itself is not blocking them. simply because the data is routed to you through airtel from cloudflare's local servers.

can you access zooqledotcom?

Thanks for the clarification about cloudflare.And no,i can't access zoogle.

But now i notice that i'm again able to load link-removed links.hahaa...strange but i'm not gonna complain since it's working again by some mysterious 'magic' of the internet!! LOL

yup. they use the national security clause to reject details of actual domains/urls being blocked. the lists we see on blogs and news websites are generally leaked from telecom operator side.

looks like there is a specific clause in the IT Law for this. sucks.

The rest of the information was denied on the basis of Rule 16 of the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking for Access of Information by Public) Rules, 2009 which says that strict confidentiality shall be maintained regarding all the blocking requests and complaints received and actions taken thereof.

Lol, I read the title as "India Blocks Mass blocking of web services by Indian Government" and was celebrating.

@Sushubh In the above article it says the govt made changes to the Telegraph Act so that decisions to shutdown the internet can only be taken by Home Ministry level officials in September and notified them again in November at the date of the article.

The reality is many internet shutdowns took place even after the amendment to the Telegraph Act in September. Take a look at this Internet Shutdowns in India. Most shutdowns happened in BJP controlled states surprisingly Rajathan had the most shutdowns after J&K of course.

The Internet shutdowns also doubled in 2017 (60) to that of 2016 (31) which itself doubled from 2015 (14) and the year isn't even over yet. Hope we do not see further Internet shutdowns but that does not seem to be the case.

little hope after supreme court practically admitted defeat saying it is ok for governments to shut down internet in the name of security.