MTNL Broadband New Connection - New Modem and Router Needed Urgently

• Thread starter Thread starter RG51
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 1,486
I recently moved to Mumbai and am about to apply for a new broadband connection. I visited the MTNL office today and was told that I should go for the 2 Mbps unlimited xpress plan as per my requirement. They have also suggested that I get my own modem and router. So here's what I urgently need to know -

1. Since in my house there will be 8 to 10 devices being used simultaneously for broadband ( desktop, laptops and mobiles included), so I need a router. Which would be the best ROUTER ? I live in a flat of about 1200 sq. ft. area.
2. Please tell me the suitable MODEM that I should purchase. (At MTNL also they were almost insistent that I should purchase my own router and modem)
3. Lastly, should I purchase the modem and router as separate units or a combo unit. In either case, which one?

I am a novice regarding this and everything seems very confusing so please give me the specific name and model for the modem and router which I can purchase immediately. Price is not an issue but the product quality is very important to me.

Thank you.

TP-LINK TD-W8968 ~ 1800rs is a good combo unit for reliability and performance.

But since you have 8-10 devices and might probably be interested in streaming/copying content from each other over lan, I would suggest getting seperate units with ~ 1000rs modem + a better feature packed router.

TP-LINK TD-8817 is a good budget modem ~ 950rs.

TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router is a highly feature packed router retailing between 4-4.5k

Pros:-
1) Fast Atheros AR9344 (594mhz) processor.
2) High speeds over wifi 5ghz bands with less spectrum noise
3) Gigabit LAN ports
4) DD-WRT/ OPENWRT Support.
5) Dual USB for having modem,hdd, printers etc plugged in simultaneously.
6) Detachable antenna

P.S. - If Lan transfers are not a requirement then the combo unit would serve well enough.