How to install Google Android L Developer Preview on Google Nexus 5?

• Thread starter Thread starter yashleo21
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 1,577
What exactly is ADB drivers : I thought installing new ROMs was as simple as saving it on the phone. Rebooting the phone into terminal like thing and load that ROM using the option available there? :tongue:

You mean recovery. Most rom zip files can be flashed from recovery. Some roms need PCs to install.
Or for some devices like HTC, ADB commands also flash the rom.

Yes that's for installing custom rom. For the official ones you need to push the rom from pc to phone via android tools.

ADB drivers are required to push rom images from pc to mobile. Just search for android adb drivers.

Goto about phone. Tap build number 7 times. Developer options will be unlocked.

Now goto settings->developer options->enable usb debugging.
And then connect your device to pc. Manually install those adb drivers which u downloaded through device manager and then follow the rest steps given in the site to flash the ROM

I know about recovery because I used that method to install official Ice Cream Sandwich build on my Galaxy Nexus :tongue: Got tired of waiting back then.

I give up. Would look for guides online with all individual steps with screenshots 😀

I have ADB drivers, android SDK for Windows installed since ages but I don't want to try this Android L for a time being. It is rightly labelled as developer preview and has lot of bugs as of now, as per posts on xda.

A lot of apps are simply not working probably because of ART. A bunch have broken UIs because the elements have been changed completely.

I am using ART on Kitkat and app compatibility with respect to ART is tremendously improved since the introduction of Kitkat. However, people on Xda are reporting that some apps randomly crash on 'L' when they run as intended on Kitkat with ART. Some apps have strange behavior like mixed UI elements etc. Overall, it looks like lot of things have been changed/are being changed under the hood and this whole thing will take long time before its readied for consumer release. Google releasing dev preview of Android publicly is something new. It would be interesting to see how they handle intermediate development and how frequently they release intermediate builds developer site.

Well I got this device to try out new ROMs anyway 😀 and yes a few apps are buggy. Comments box in facebook app opens up as transparent so you cannot really read any text.

And yes that's the ADB drivers you need 😛

Ok. I asked as the instruction didn't say anything about unlocking bootloader. I'm pretty sure Sushubh's N5's bootloader is locked 😀