• Thread starter Thread starter rsatbf
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 8,825

rsatbf

Regular
ISP
BSNL
Hi, I am trying to do something like this. The diagram has a small mistake where it is taking voice from the data port, but to convey my need, this is sufficient.

The reason is I want to be able to switch on my modem either in my bedroom or in the hall, depending on where the need is. This worked wonderfully for me with BSNL and internal wiring in my house. I do not know how the internal wiring is laid out, but it works. I have phones in all rooms and modems in 2 places. All are through a splitter at each point.
Now I got an Airtel connection and the installer asked me which of my parallel connect is main and which is parallel. Told him main would be my Bedroom and he brought in 2 cables into my bedroom and only 1 cable in the hall. The main one in my room is taken to a splitter and the voice output is connected to the second cable and hence the parallel connection works for voice but not for data. I tried wiring the 2 cables together and also bought a 1 to 2 and a 1 to 3 RJ11 multi to try and see if that would help. But nothing seems to give me a solution for modem to work in both locations (with the other one switched off). Any suggestions/thoughts?

I too have the same arrangement but I haven't tried the parallel connection with another modem, just with a phone.

Its a regular splitter provided by Airtel earlier which splits the incoming into data and voice. How do I check if it has a filter?
Its the same splitter I was using with my bsnl setup successfully.
Just to add, the Airtel wiring is not internal. It is external which he placed in my room.

No idea. No splitters were installed by Airtel?
Is this your setup?
Airtel line ->Splitter 1 -> Splitter 2 + Telephone
Splitter 2 ->Telephone + Modem

Yes Splitters were installed by Airtel 8 years ago.
Airtel Line --> Splitter 1 ADSL Port -->Modem 1 in Bed room
Phone Port-->Parallel wire that goes out of room, over the roof and enters the hall on the other side of the house
Parallel Line in Hall-->Splitter 2 Phone Port -->Cordless Phone
ADSL Port --> Modem 2 in Hall

From the diagram in my original post, the Splitter 1 splits voice and data and hence only the voice part goes to the Hall, I believe.
So I tried the following:
1.) Joining the 2 incoming lines in my bedroom by joining the wires together - white to white and blue to blue. Basically like a parallel electrical circuit. This worked to make the second modem work in the hall, but the first modem in my bedroom stopped working.
2.) Bought a 1 to 2 and 1 to 3 phone multiplier. This I connected to the main line in my bedroom and took an unsplit cable to the parallel line. This didnt allow the Modem 1 to work.
3.) Tried connecting the ADSL Port to the Parallel line, didnt work either....

To clarify, I got a new airtel connection yesterday. Told the technician I need a parallel line in the hall. For this parallel line, he brought in 2 physical phone cables into my bedroom. One he labelled "main" and the other he labelled "parallel". Now from the "Main" he connected to a splitter and split into ADSL and Phone. The Phone he connected to the "Parallel" physical cable that goes all the way to my hall. If this is not clear, will post pictures. Thanks!

I was using this with my BSNL with internal wiring and it worked fine. It is still working fine - am yet to disconnect my bsnl line. I guess I can connect the airtel to the twisted pair that the BSNL line was connected to, going into my house internal wiring. But thought I can recreate the same with airtels external wiring too.

Feel like pulling my hair out!!
I figured the difference between my bsnl setup and airtel was that I had 3 phones and 2 modems on the network. So I decided to add one more line to my airtel setup. I used the 1 to 3 phone splitter on incoming Main and got 3 RJ11, unfiltered ports. From this I connected 1st one to my bedroom modem, second went to the Parallel line to the hall, where there was a splitter and modem+phone, third I put in a dummy phone cable.
This seemed to work, I was able to get the modem line in the bedroom to connect, switched it off and went switched on the modem in the hall and it worked too. Came back to BR and switched on modem and it worked. I decided to make this permanent and by mistake crossed the ports between the BR and the Parallel and thats it. It stopped working. I was back to square one.
I think it is some kind of path to modem that the pillar or airtel server learns that is causing this issue. Sigh!! 😛issed-off:

Can you try to use a switch (or a router) and distribute the ethernet lines to different rooms? You dont need multiple modem/splitter pairs in that case.
If you want to explore this option, plan for a dual WAN router as it allows you to use both connections at the same time - either load balancing or failover.

I will be unable to take RJ45 from one room to another. I can do wireless bridging, but that is not always reliable. I really need the 2 modems to work one at a time...