Using External Dvr For Recording Programmes

• Thread starter Thread starter s.arunswami
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 5,341

s.arunswami

Is it possible to connect an external Digital video recorder to Tata Sky or DTH set top box?, for a normal cable television we are able to tune all the channels using the Tuner , however for a set top box we get to watch only one channel at a time, so when we are forced to see the channel which is currebtly being recorded..any Suggestions???Thanks.Arun

I haven't tried using one. From what I know it would be possible to use one but with severe limitations.As you mentioned, the DVR will only be able to record the channel the STB has tuned into. This is perfect for a situation when you want to record something that you're watching but if you want to record a show while you're away you'll have to leave the STB on and tuned into the channel you want the recording done for. You won't be able to record programs for another channel in the same session unless you have somebody manually change the channel on the STB. It's best to wait for Tata Sky to come out with their own DVR-STBs - these will not have any of the above limitations and some really cool features, not the least of which will a huge capacity hard disk. These are not going to come cheap - I'd say 15k minimum, probably closer to 20k - which makes me wonder if the Tata Sky people will put them into the market anywhere in the near future. LG has DVD based DVRs going for 7k (the official price is 11k but they keep coming out with these "limited time only" offers.) I'm keeping my fingers crossed and holding on for official Tata Sky hardware.

I absolutely agree - there's no point in getting a DVR unless it's from your cable TV provider.(Although I am expecting/hoping that the price will be more like Rs. 7,000 - 9,000.

Arun and others,no need to wait for Tata for an expensive DVR solution. You can build your own PVR system, as I am in the process of.If you have a PC, hook up a TV tuner with hardware encoder, which has composite video and audio inputs. You will use these inputs to record the video and stereo sound from the STB. The next problem is that you recording software needs to change channels to automatically record your scheduled shows. For this you need an IR Blaster. This is a IR transmitter which can be hooked to your PC's USB/serial port. Now the PC application can send your Tata Sky STB IR frequencies exactly like your TataSky remote does...problem solved 🙂There are number of PVR applications which do all this such as Sage TV, Beyond TV, Myth TV and MediaPortal.My tuner is Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2My Blaster is USB-UIRT.The setup should be quite cheaper than the Rs. 15K solution DishTV seems to be providing(or so i heard).

QUOTE(netfreak @ Feb 28 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]81547[/snapback]
How much does IR Blaster cost ?[/b]

The one i bought is about $50...but there are much cheaper ones available too, such as MyBlaster, though UIRT is one of the best and time tested one.

QUOTE(netfreak @ Mar 1 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]81688[/snapback]
Did you purchase that in India? Wich city was that?[/b]

at the moment i am in US and i bought it from US itself...but i guess it might be available in india too.

YesI have been using the LG DR - 165 W Recorder, the problem is if i have to record a english movie that's benig shown on Sony Pix, i have also to watch it, which is not always a good idea if there's one TV in your home & the family wants to watch Start Plus or your brother wants to watch WWE, Sabir