should i move from airtel to ACT?

• Thread starter Thread starter Leshy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 14,034
ISP
ACT
Hi Guys,
I have read both good and bad about ACT i am in a dliemma whether to ditch my airtel 8mbps plan and go for act broadband need some suggestions.

Remember - Airtel will always be the most reliable ISP around. ACT goes down on average once every 2 months for about 1 day. Though, it has not gone down for the past month & a half.
I say yes go fo it. Reliability in Chennai seems to be better than Bangalore too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once upon a time I used to have airtel. The good: great service. Almost instant response to things. Cons: Crooks. They automatically downgraded
my plan without asking me. So I chucked them.
ACT: pros: great plans. Definitely better product than airtel.
cons: service is basically don't care. any problem and they won't know what to do. if they can't solve it, they won't bother to try.
If you are willing to overlook the service aspect of it, you may go for ACT. Their plans are much better than Airtel. Airtel frequently changes their plans and they will change yours without even telling you.
Personally, I have stumbled upon another problem with ACT. Apparently they include both uploads and downloads in their FUP. I have measured my usage with independant software and it confirms. So if they say 50GB FUP, and you upload (torrents etc.) 20 GB, then you will effectively get 30GB. Although they say otherwise on their site. I have recommended people to verify FUP limit using their own software.

ACT is having pathetic service. Thank god , i didn't remove AIRTEL connection on applying for ACT. I rarely see Airtel facing any problem but incase if it does also they fix it within 24hrs. One time fix didn't happen in 24hrs so Airtel paid me Rs. 100 per day for everyday extension , I didn't even ask for it but they credit it to my monthly bill. Yes, the cost is more in Airtel but they give respect to their customers and follow ups are done frequently. ACT don't have process and they don't care to give you frequent update on your request id.

No, not a Business Customer. It seems that Airtel had given it to 3rd party for all hardware maintainence and contract was this way. So far I have recieved this money only once but later on issues used to get resolved within 12 hrs even when the ETA was 24hrs. One thing I like about Airtel is that after the issue gets resolved they speak to customer and get confirmation from us too.

Apply to both the places. By the time you get to meet the ACT sales representative, Airtel would have given you the connection. Don't waste your money on ACT. Doesn't work.

My suggestion is to keep a reliable provider as a backup when you choose ACT.
- With ACT you get better upload speeds almost similar to your download speed - Airtel caps upload at 0.8Mbps although most of it is a ADSL restriction. When I asked Airtel they mentioned FTTH also caps at 0.8Mbps.
- ACT cabling is all over the streets crisscrossing every EB post much like your local cable TV. So quite vulnerable to cable cuts. Where ACT competes with local cable (like in Bangalore), they go through frequent cable cuts.
- The box in your home or your neighbor's house has a 4-hour battery backup. But if your neighbor leaves home on a holiday, you have an outage starring at you in a day-long power cut. No such issues with Airtel.
- With ACT you dont need a modem. But you may need a wired or wireless router for a multi-device connection. Airtel requires a modem to begin with.
- I get about 3ms Pings on ACT. Airtel gives about 50ms.
- I have had outages on both Airtel and ACT. In my case the issues were handled faster although I am with ACT for only about 2-weeks now. With Airtel for around 6 years.
- Connection and relocation was swift with Airtel. Turnaround time for your connection and speed depends on how crowded their DSLAM is. With ACT it depends on wiring to your area and a box nearby with a open port. In my case, the documentation was done in 1-hour from my website query. Connection was promised next day. But it took 2-days mainly because i had to arrange for an electrician to run my concealed cabling.
- Pricing. In India most of the broadband costs are driven by road cut charges. Airtel has a disadvantage here where as ACT is cheap since they dont have to cut roads. Not sure what happens when there is more restrictions on open cables in streets.

Never make that mistake, ever....Made the mistake and paying the price for it...Go for it if you want to see disconnection at least five times and month and zero customer service.

First time hearing company paying customers

Technically, they credit the amount to our Airtel account. Recently, Airtel withdrew my safe-custody without my consent. I fought for their mistake and things got escalated to some high resolution department. Finally, I got back the entire amount including GST (500 + GST) on to my broadband account.

Try YOU Broadband the speeds are same as ACT I am having a good support like airtel
when You get a connection ask them for FTTH they give it for extra deposit of 1000 but it is worth