2 Laptops Wifi + Desktop

jerry17

[OP]
Nov 24, 2006
Hi. I have the following setup:MTNL line --> MTNL D-Link 502T ADSL Modem --> Netgear wifi router... I have 2 laptops that share the wifi internet over encrypted connection. Everything is working perfectly. I have a simple question. Q - If I want to add a desktop to the mix, do I take the connection from the ADSL modem to the desktop via the USB port? Or would I need to take a RJ45 cable and connect the netgear router to the desktop using any 1 of the 4 ports that are available. I am thinking it could be either but just wanted to be sure. Any help would be appreciated.Jerry

baudhayan

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 20, 2005
Mumbai
QUOTE(Jerry @ Feb 2 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]78179[/snapback]
Hi. I have the following setup:

MTNL line --> MTNL D-Link 502T ADSL Modem --> Netgear wifi router... I have 2 laptops that share the wifi internet over encrypted connection. Everything is working perfectly. I have a simple question.

Q - If I want to add a desktop to the mix, do I take the connection from the ADSL modem to the desktop via the USB port? Or would I need to take a RJ45 cable and connect the netgear router to the desktop using any 1 of the 4 ports that are available. I am thinking it could be either but just wanted to be sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry[/b]

U can use either da Ethernet or da USB port of da D-Link router 1 at a time. Simultaneously both cannot be used. So wht u thot was rite.

netfreak

Regulars
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
Netgear WiFi router shaould have some LAN ports as well. You can plug desktop's LAN cable in one of those.

coolbuddy_79

The Coolest One!!!
Regulars
Jan 30, 2005
plugging into directly the DSL modem can create some problem...use the netgear port...enjoy!!!

jerry17

[OP]
Nov 24, 2006
QUOTE(baudhayan @ Feb 2 2007, 04:27 PM) [snapback]78191[/snapback]
U can use either da Ethernet or da USB port of da D-Link router 1 at a time. Simultaneously both cannot be used. So wht u thot was rite.[/b]

Thank you Baudhayan, coolbuddy and netfreak. I will try it. Another question. Is it possible to print wirelessly to a printer which only has a USB port from the DSL modem? For your reference, the model of my printer is Samsung SCF-4521F. Thanks a ton.

baudhayan

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 20, 2005
Mumbai
QUOTE(Jerry @ Feb 3 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]78388[/snapback]
Thank you Baudhayan, coolbuddy and netfreak. I will try it. Another question. Is it possible to print wirelessly to a printer which only has a USB port from the DSL modem? For your reference, the model of my printer is Samsung SCF-4521F. Thanks a ton.[/b]

I dint get ur question :( "printer which only has a USB port from the DSL modem? " ????????????????

jerry17

[OP]
Nov 24, 2006
QUOTE(baudhayan @ Feb 3 2007, 04:21 PM) [snapback]78409[/snapback]
I dint get ur question :( \"printer which only has a USB port from the DSL modem? \" ????????????????[/b]

Baudhayan,

Sorry for not being clear earlier. What I really want to do is to be able to print wirelessly to my printer from my wireless laptop. My printer only has a USB port and does not have a network port. So, is it possible that I assign an IP to the printer from the USB port of the DSL modem? I understand that the printer has a built in network card so can be used as a network printer.

Thanks
Rahul

QUOTE(vebmetal @ Feb 3 2007, 04:25 PM) [snapback]78412[/snapback]
I am assuming you meant that you have a Samsung SCX-4521F.

Try this: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1596[/b]

Hi vebmetal,

Yes, its an SCX. Typo error. I went through the link. This would help me share my printer from teh desktop. However, to be able to print to it, I would always have to keep the desktop (to which the printer may be attached) turned on all the time. I would want to be able to print wirelessly to the printer using any of my wireless laptops. Is that possible? Maybe the DSL modem can assign an IP to the printer if I connect the USB cable from the DSL modem to the printer. Your thoughts?

Rahul

jerry17

[OP]
Nov 24, 2006
QUOTE(baudhayan @ Feb 2 2007, 04:27 PM) [snapback]78191[/snapback]
U can use either da Ethernet or da USB port of da D-Link router 1 at a time. Simultaneously both cannot be used. So wht u thot was rite.[/b]

Hey, it worked from the router port. Great. Thanks.

But the only issue now is... I cannot access 1 PC from the other when I try Start>Run and type \\192.168.the IP of the other PCs. I can do a RDC to the PCs; however, I cannot access the PC to copy files, etc

1 Laptop and Desktop have WinXP Prof and the 2nd Laptop has WinXP Home. Would that matter? I guess not. Your thoughts?

Rahul

netfreak

Regulars
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
First thing to check is if firewall allows file sharing and if file sharing is enabled in both machines.