Packet Loss, Access Issues!

• Thread starter Thread starter tthakker
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,442

tthakker

ISP
MTNL Mumbai
Hi All,For the past two three days I have been experiencing a few problems like server time-outs on yahoo, Google, India-Forums.com and a host of other web-sites. Initially I thought this might be a server problem with yahoo or google ( a DoS attack or sumthing) but when this happened with a host of other sites, I smelt sumthing fishy.i tried pinging the mtnl server and others observing a lot of packet loss. (100% in sum cases)can any one help me out.tejas

i tried pinging themtnl server and others observing a lot of packet loss. (100% in sum cases)[/b]

u mean dns server ???

waise packet loss is nothing but the timing out of the connection (server time out)

mtnl websites r down 90% of the time ....so no use pinging them u'll most probably get request timed out on em and since the ping to the dns was ok ....there seems to be no prob with ur dns. try using other dns servers and see if the problem persists.

QUOTE(mystery_inc18 @ Jan 31 2007, 05:32 PM) [snapback]77846[/snapback]
mtnl websites r down 90% of the time ....so no use pinging them u'll most probably get request timed out on em and since the ping to the dns was ok ....there seems to be no prob with ur dns. try using other dns servers and see if the problem persists.[/b]

seems like u didn't read my post properly... I tried pinging other sites too like yahoo google msn etc with pings showing anything between 11% to 100% packet loss.

that is exactly what is troubling me.

please any1 help

tejas

Packet loss can happen due to Network congestion. Bandwidth undercapacity issue at the DSLAM.

If ping to dns server is ok then it cannot be a line problem.
Code:
Ping (your dns server IP)  -t
Ideally there shouldn't be any packet loss at all. Then try pingging other websites. If you see packet loss of more than 1-2% then its a clear case of network congestion.

QUOTE(tthakker @ Jan 31 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]77849[/snapback]
seems like u didn't read my post properly... I tried pinging other sites too like yahoo google msn etc with pings showing anything between 11% to 100% packet loss.

that is exactly what is troubling me.

please any1 help

tejas[/b]

QUOTE(mystery_inc18 @ Jan 31 2007, 05:32 PM) [snapback]77846[/snapback]
try using other dns servers and see if the problem persists.[/b]

i read that yahoo wala part too and thats y askd u to do this^^^

QUOTE(real_india @ Jan 31 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]77852[/snapback]
Packet loss can happen due to Network congestion. Bandwidth undercapacity issue at the DSLAM.

If ping to dns server is ok then it cannot be a line problem.
Code:
Ping (your dns server IP)  -t
Ideally there shouldn't be any packet loss at all. Then try pingging other websites. If you see packet loss of more than 1-2% then its a clear case of network congestion.[/b]
Ping statistics for 203.94.227.70😛ackets: Sent = 18, Received = 18, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 12ms, Maximum =  19ms, Average =  14ms Ping statistics for 203.94.243.70😛ackets: Sent = 71, Received = 68, Lost = 3 (4% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 34ms, Maximum =  82ms, Average =  41ms
QUOTE(mystery_inc18 @ Jan 31 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]77868[/snapback]
i read that yahoo wala part too and thats y askd u to do this^^^[/b]

my mistake sir...

second dns seems troublesome doesn't it

troublesome not necessarily ...in airtel too we can't ping some of our dns servers .but they work jus fine...........buddy try changin ur dns to may be 4.2.2.1 or 4.2.2.1 or any other dns which may be compatible with mtnl......