truly WIRELESS internet service in india

sincereheart

truly WIRELESS internet service in india

Hi all people here...i had a look at many posts here but was unable to actually figure out what exactly suited me...so i thought why not put my exact requirements here so that people who know more than me here can give a more appropriate solution:

A little background:

I have a laptop and i have to travel very frequently all over India...this is because of my recent job requirement...

I have been exploring ways in which i can connect to internet "wirelessly" while say i am in train or my hotel room in any city in india...

Out of all the options available now...reliance only seems to be the option where true "wireless" internet is possible...

But the speed is a killer in the sense that at times its pathetic far below 115kbps they claim...

From reading all the posts here in this forum it appears bsnl is the best choice for
broadband at higher speeds...(but it is not wireless i think)

QUESTION: However, i was just wondering whether it was possible to actually use internet wirelessly at higher speeds (as fast as possible and available in india) when i travel or am not in delhi but say in mumbai or some other city...or while on train...

Apart from reliance which i know does offer true wireless internet...is there any service provider which offers wireless internet but at high speeds (unlike reliance whose speed is pathetic at times)....

thank u for ur valuable time and consideration...

hope someone will be able to point me in right direction...as of now reliance seems to be the only option...

Last edited by a moderator:
For mobile professionals like u, i can only suggest a full-proof suggestion - wait for the 3G services to be rolled out in July. You can get upto 384kbps speed using 3G handsets which are available now. I would recommend a SonyEricsson handset for its amazing features, build quality and performance.Another solution which can be tried now instead of reliance is HUTCH Unlimited GPRS internet access for 24hrs which offers upto 112kbps. The monthly rental is only Rs.500, with unltd. MMS, GPRS access on PC and Phone! Service is available wherever there is a Hutch/partner network. BSNL also offers a similar plan with Rs.349 as rental but services are yet to be started in remote areas. Hence, HUTCH service is more reliable.Whatever be the case, the speed of the connection depends upon the distance between ur phone and BTS tower, traffic quantity, direction !So, whatever be the solution, your cellphone always comes into play, u just can't shed it off !!>

Hutch is not offering unlimited GPRS access for Rs 499 anymore. Please check.They are charging by the kb! Ridiculously high rate. They must think that consumers are stupid to pay that rate. Plus a Rs 200 rental charge for choosing GPRS internet service! 😱 No reason why Indian consumers should be fleeced to make a Chinese billionaire even richer.Airtel offers unlimited GPRS for Rs 599.BSNL offers it for Rs 349.Airtel has EDGE service is some metros as well.

Dishnet Wireless is ready to introduce WiMax. Their Wi-fi hotspots are mostly connected via DSL for now 🙄 But the problem with Wi-Max: the end-user h.w price is $1000-1500 per installation. So currently only suitable for commercial users.The only way it can work direct for consumers in India, is WiMax h.w to come down in price to $100, say in 2years or so. Or Wi-Max to the building and from central site to customers nearby via DSL or ethernet at 512K.In the next 1-2yrs the available choice for wireless are EDGE and EVDO.GPRS and EDGE are currently available.EVDO once the Ambani brothers finish fighting and pay the required "donations" to those concerned , then maybe required spectrum for EVDO service in 1900mhz band will be magically released 😛 The Tatas dont dirty their hands as much, so they are content with just 5mhz spectrum and not offering EVDO.