• Thread starter Thread starter baudhayan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 19,404

baudhayan

Regulars
ISP
Hathway 50 Mbps+ Vodafone 3G
The Tata Sky engineer, finding me quite techy enuf, showed me a small metal plate with 4 screws fixed behind the Digicomp. He said tht if u r not happy with TATA Sky & want to switchover to Dish TV or might be CAS, you shud get in tuch with a person who does set-top box software upgrades. He said tht u can connect a console cable after removing da metal plate & flash the EEPROM. So whichever service u r going to use, just flash the EEPROM with tht software. Has anyone tried this or does anyone know any person who has the s/w for Dish TV or say the local cable wala for CAS.Whereever u go da set-top box follows :lol:

Haven't tried this but why would I want to?

so reverse shud be possible isnt it?if i have dd direct stb (with card slot) and if i get i upgrade eeprom by tata firmwarethen with tata card i shuld be able to get tata channels.just making guesses lol.

QUOTE(Crazysah @ Jan 26 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]76963[/snapback]
Haven't tried this but why would I want to?[/b]
This would be useful if you want to switch services. Now I know that many people on this forum are total Tata Sky fanboys, but who knows - maybe Airtel's IPTV or their DTH, or Reliance Bluemagic may end up being way better than Tatasky... Then if you want to switch you have two options:

[*]Pay for the new STBs, and hope that there is a second hand market for TataSky.
[*]Suck it up and kick yourself for paying so much for the STBs and installation that it renders changing services uneconomical.
[/list]It's just a matter of time before people in Palika start offering all this flashing business. Though one wonders if a Hathway STB could offer everything with regard to software that a TataSky STB does. e.g. if you got your Hathway STB to work with TataSky, would it also work with things such as Active News etc?

yes the Tata Sky engineer informed me during installation that there is a slot at the back which can be used with other service providers. hopefully there wont be a need to use it.

So if we plug in another service... then will the active services also work?

QUOTE(Amish @ Jan 26 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]76975[/snapback]
if i have dd direct stb (with card slot) and if i get i upgrade eeprom by tata firmware
then with tata card i shuld be able to get tata channels.

just making guesses lol.[/b]
You may be able to view the free to air channels but you can forget the pay channels as they are encrypted. That said , it may be possible but it would require some really skilled hackers.

or the Palika-types to import that kind of hacking/modding knowledges such as they do for game consoles. And since DTH & CAS are basically becoming the mainstream now, the market for this will probably rise a lot.

@ Amish - See...just upgrading da firmware is not enuf...u also require da Tata Sky SIM or Dish TV SIM which is plugged in externally. The main benefit of wht I mentioned is if u can manage 2 get a STP from da grey market u wud end up paying less on installation charges...provided u hv some1 available to upgrade ur firmware.@ Crazysah - Actually da Active Services can be accessed from da main menu, if not with a direct button from da remote. So with da main menu of any STB u shud definitely be able to access da Active services.@ maahkaal - No skilled hacker is rqd if u get da relevant SIM from da relevant service provider. The SIM contains all da details abt da satellites settings...like Vertical & Horizontal polarisation angles & many more.

QUOTE(baudhayan @ Jan 27 2007, 09:24 PM) [snapback]77222[/snapback]
@ maahkaal - No skilled hacker is rqd if u get da relevant SIM from da relevant service provider. The SIM contains all da details abt da satellites settings...like Vertical & Horizontal polarisation angles & many more.[/b]
You may be right but i doubt the security mechanism would be that simple to crack. Relying on the SIM alone is a very big risk as i'm sure the satellites settings can be accessed easily on the internet as it is a government satellite after all.

There is A Secret Menu in Tata Sky, it will help you to get out of the Hung screen saying ONE MOMENT PLEASE.... All you have to do to enter the menu is. 1>Press ORGANISER on your Tata Sky Remote. 2>Press 5 (or System Settings Menu). 3>Now Quickly Press 0,1, Select (the centre Button). 4>You should now see the INSTALLER SETUP Screen.. if not Repeat the steps Again. 5>Here You Get 3 Options: 1>LNB SETUP 2>RF OUTLET 3>MANUAL TUNING 1>LNB Setup the Default Settings ARE: LNB TYPE: DUAL LO Frequency:09750 High LO Frequency:10600 Spectrum Inversion: Normal Don't Forget to Save Settings And Exit 2> RF OUTLET UHF/VHF Outlet Channel Can Be Changed Here (Default 68) 3> Manual Tuning Signal IN4A-14 (ie. INSAT 4A Transponder 14) Here you get to select the signal from the Satellite Transponder (Just incase you decide to change the Service Provider to Dish TV or Reliance Blue or if you go to a Foreign country with your Satellite Receiver). Enjoy Guys.Keep Posting Tricks Like This....

it's not working for me, can u elaborate please....how did u get the installer setup screen ?which stb do you have ? humax or thomson ?

QUOTE(WiZaRd @ Feb 22 2007, 07:43 AM) [snapback]80778[/snapback]
it's not working for me, can u elaborate please....how did u get the installer setup screen ?
which stb do you have ? humax or thomson ?[/b]

Worked like a charm with me. It's pretty straight forward. Organiser > Systerms Settings > Press 0, 1 and button

Mine is a Thompson box but it shouldn't matter because both must have the same software. What a great find Patrick!!

And thanks to Baudhayan for finding out about the hidden console cable connection. I figured that flashing the system should be possible but didn't know how and where.

Hi, is it possible to add free to air channels that are missing on the Tata Sky Menu, or other channels that are not encrypted, sabir

FTA channels (DD direct) are on foriegn satellite and Tata Sky is on insat4a.so u wont get any FTA channels on dd direct, thats biggest problem of tatasky.they need separate transponders for FTA channels.soon DD DTH wud move to insat4b (to be launched in a week)along with that even SUN will launch its DTH (on insat4b as well).hence sun will be able to provide FTA channels at no expense of own!!because its dish will be pointing to same satellite!zee dish tv satellite(nss-6) wud be close to insat4b hence wud requireminor realignment of receiver dish to receive dd direct channels. buttatasky u can say are unlucky.