Airtel Dth

Status
Not open for further replies.

wR2g4vdTjL5d

Regulars
http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/.../jan/jan254.htm

Bharti Airtel Limited has floated a wholly owned subsidiary, Bharti Telemedia, for its direct-to-home (DTH) services.

The plan is to launch DTH this calendar year, but this will depend on whether the telecom major manages to get transponder space from the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro).

Bharti would be entering into the DTH business, joining Anil Ambani's Reliance, Kalanithi Maran's Sun Direct and the existing players Dish TV, Tata Sky and DD Direct Plus.

Bharti also hopes to launch its IPTV services in the first quarter of the next fiscal, a source in the company says. UTStarcom is the digital service vendor for Bharti's IPTV including the headend and the digital set-top boxes (STBs).

"There are issues we still have to sort out on technology, cost and reach. IPTV could have limitations in India at this stage. DTH can give us a wider market," says the source.

Bharti had started test runs for IPTV with UTStarcom but later invited other vendors as well. Subsequently, it has been using UTStarcom for its IPTV build up.

The telecom major has also announced the acquisition of a submarine network cable system from Network i2i, which is jointly owned by Singtel and a Bharti group company, for an overall consideration of $110 million. This will be subject to obtaining the requisite approvals.

Bharti Airtel is structured into three strategic business units – mobile, broadband & telephone (B&T) and Enterprise services. The mobile business provides mobile and fixed wireless services using GSM technology across 23 telecom circles. The B&T unit provides broadband and telephone services in 94 cities while the Enterprise services provide end-to-end telecom solutions to corporate customers and national and international long distance services to carriers.

Bharti has an aggregate of 33.71 million subscribers (as of December-end 2006), consisting of 31.97 million mobile customers.

duh. what happened to their IPTV plans?

The Article says that Bharti felt IPTV's reach would be limited when compared to DTH. Anyways the article goes on to say they would be launching IPTV by the first quarter of the coming fiscal year.

they also have massive plans to get into retailing in india. big plans. airtel iptv launch at april/may/june?let's hope cas is not implemented in gurgaon by then.

if my cable guy gives me a good deal. which i doubt he would. but he just might coz a lot of people in the locality have moved on to Tata Sky... i can only hope.

that is the obvious choice if you are waiting for IPTV. The best part about CAS (cable) is that you can rent the STB with a minimal commitment of 4 months. Then if you want to switch services, no problem. But with DTH you are tied in with these guys for at least a couple of years (to justify the expense). Let's see what happens with IPTV - whether or not there will be an option to rent the STB (doubtful).

actually, they just know that their services are not world class and those who fall in their trap would like to get out of it asap...so they do all this to keep the customer tied down to them and make them pay for their mistake...

i seriously have no plans to buy a STB for personal usage. parents are another matter. might buy Tata Sky for them if CAS is implemented in chandigarh. mom need star plus and Tata Sky would have it for sure.

^same here...i don't need the TV...mom would need it for her daily soaps and dad for his news...

"There are issues we still have to sort out on technology, cost and reach. IPTV could have limitations in India at this stage. DTH can give us a wider market,"[/b]
That is a very interesting comment and rightly so. For IPTV to be successful you need world class infrastructure which i'm afraid we don't have in india right now. Also there is a lot of risk involved in IPTV. A majority of the people are hesitant to move to DTH from their cable operator so there is no way IPTV will find a eager market.

Status
Not open for further replies.