BSNL 3G working with Mac 10.9

• Thread starter Thread starter nprem
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 0
  • Views Views 5,610
ISP
bsnl
i have seen several threads on getting it to work on the later versions of the mac. i got it working on my macbook with 10.9. i assume this also works in all the latest varients.
steps to follow.
1. plug in 3g dongle
2. If there is a storage drive appears in the finder, eject it.
3. get to a terminal window and type "sudo kextunload -b com.Apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass" to unload the storage driver associated with the 3g dongle
4. use a terminal program to connect to the modem, i use the built-in terminal program "screen"
4a. type "screen /dev/cu.usbmodem1dxx2, xx may vary depending on which port you plugged in the modem
4b. type "at" and enter and you should see an "ok" response
4c. type "at+cfun=1" and it should respond with "ok' response
4d. type "cntl(not command)+a and k to quit the screen
5. use the network control panel, to configure the connection.
you may see multiple HSDPADatacard entries. i am not sure how these mapped to the actual device. so at this point it is trail and error. follow the below steps for each of the hspda entry.
1. click on HSPDADatacard to see the configuration options
2. enter *99# against the telephone number and leave the account name and password blank
3. click on advanced button at the bottom, it should bring up a new dialog box
4. change the model to GPRS(GSM/3G)
5. enter "bsnlgprs.com" in the APN dialog box
6. leave 1 as the CID number
7. click ok
now try to "connect" by clicking on the connect button. it should be able to connect to the network. if it doesnt work, try with other HSPDADatacard entries in the networking pane.
i am actually writing this post over the 3g connection from my mac using the bsnl 3g card. 🙂
hope it helps someone.
i derived this solution based on few articles on the net. thanks to them.