Keeping mobile phone number active while abroad

• Thread starter Thread starter kingkong
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 70,369

kingkong

ISP
BSNL
I need to stay abroad, sometimes for a few months and would like to keep my prepaid number active during that period.
I am currently on Vodafone and was told by the seller that currently we need to make some usage (outgoing call, SMS, data) every 45 days.
I also had gone to Airtel and they said that the usage time was 30 days !!
Last I heard the TRAI regulation was 90 days.
So any clarifications would help. Will also report back how my experience is with Voda prepaid and whether I am able to keep it "alive".

I guess a small recharge would keep it alive. Even receiving sms counts to activity IIRC..

The phone needs to be on for that right? I would just make missed calls...

I kept my Vodafone number active for 8-9 months when I was abroad. I just inserted sim in phone and that phone was ON all time. My sim continued to receive sms for free.
Earlier I had Airtel sim which was not inserted in phone for 6 or more months. Then when I inserted, I observed that sim was not showing any network. I guess if sim is online (connected to network) then number will remain active. But we also need to do recharge once every 6 months for minimum amount mentioned by provider.

My airtel number was deactivated and recycled by airtel because of non usage when i was abroad. I used to make a call every month once to a local US number. Would deduct 70 Rs around per minute (calling India number using Indian SIM from US is more expensive, better call US number from Indian SIM). But then i forgot to do it for couple of months so they recycled it and i never got that number back. Even today the number is not active on airtel but they did not give it back.
So i suggest you keep a recurring reminder on your phone to remind you to make a call every 20 days or so for a minute, would cost 70-100 Rs per minute but the number will be active.

^ You don't need to make a call even something cheaper like sending or receiving a text works fine.

^^^ Yes. My account amount was never deducted while I received sms.

My Vodafone prepaid number never worked abroad. I think there's a security deposit or something like that, better check it out.
I last tried it on December.

One can put the number in safe custody for a period. I had paid 600/- for 6 months last year.
Oh wait, I was on postpaid!