Need clarifications on Airtel broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter Wilson
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 4,274
ISP
Airtel
Hi, i am new to india and resides in New Delhi, i am using Airtel Broadband, before asking for the installlation i saw the handbill which entails the different plans, i asked for the 20GB (Turbo) a month which is stated to be Rs1299-/ per month at 4Mbps speed.
but i was surprise after like 28days i was billed Rs642.52-/
now i dont understand anymore.
also i have a landline with the connection which they said i have 1000 minutes of local calls, i have been using it, but i wish to recharge it so i can use it to make international calls, how is this possible?
I will really appreciate if somebody can tell me about how airtel charges and how i can recharge the landline.
Thanks

You might want to check the dates on your bill. Depending on your billing cycle, It might not be for 28 days. If you got your connection on the 25th and your bill is generated on the 5th of the following month, it will be a pro-rated bill for 25th-5th. On the 5th of the next month, you will get a full 1 month bill.
If you have 1000 mins of local calls, then any additional call usage will just appear on your next bill. If you need to make international calls, you might need to call customer care and enable it (there might be additional deposits for it..not sure). There shouldn't be any need to recharge the landline as it's a postpaid connection.

I wonder if international calls today are cheaper on mobiles than on landlines?

georgemp said:
You might want to check the dates on your bill. Depending on your billing cycle, It might not be for 28 days. If you got your connection on the 25th and your bill is generated on the 5th of the following month, it will be a pro-rated bill for 25th-5th. On the 5th of the next month, you will get a full 1 month bill.
If you have 1000 mins of local calls, then any additional call usage will just appear on your next bill. If you need to make international calls, you might need to call customer care and enable it (there might be additional deposits for it..not sure). There shouldn't be any need to recharge the landline as it's a postpaid connection.
Thank you very much, you are totally right i stated using it on the 20th of February and the bill was for 26/01/2014 - 25/02/2014
so for next month now i will be charged Rs1299-/ + the remaining from last month?
I actually thought it a fixed price, i pay Rs1299-/ every month regardless how much i use since the data is capped at 20GB and unlimited at a lower speed after the 20GB.
still a mystery to me and i dont want to accrue too many charges.
for the calls, thanks i will call customer care agents AGAIN, i have always called but my inability to speak Hindi is a barrier as they tend not to understand me much, maybe i should stick to using mobile for international calls, i was hoping fixline will be cheaper.
Thanks bro

Your data is fixed every month and not pro-rated. They give you the full 20GB even if you have used the connection only for 5 days. But, your bill is pro-rated by the days your connection was active.
Starting next month, your bill should be a fixed amount of Rs 1299 + taxes (whether you use more or less than the 20GB of usage). You could be charged extra for STD calls and ISD calls. Depending on your call usage, the bill could be higher.
Also, when they say local calls, you might want to confirm whether it is local to only other airtel numbers or local to all providers. Depending on the country you call, ISD may be cheaper on mobile. Calling the US/UK is only 50p/min on Aircel (with the Rs. 18 ISD pack on postpaid - I think they have a similar pack on pre-paid as well).
If you aren't able to get a good response on the phone, try sending an email to 121@in.airtel.com and mention on the ticket that you've been having difficulty communicating over the phone and request that a follow up be done by an agent who speaks english well. The agents who have called me have typically been able to speak english well. But, your mileage may vary...good luck 🙂

@georgemp thanks for the enlightenment, i will do as suggested,
Calling the US/UK is only 50p/min is just so cool, and i think thats all i need for now as must of my calling are to the US and sometime UK, Canada, Nigeria.
Thanks again bro