BSNL Broadband: Difference bet. UTStar UT-300R and UT-300R2 modem

• Thread starter Thread starter Hulo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 8,719

Hulo

Regular
Apart from the superficial difference in the LED button, can anyone inform me what the difference is between UT-300R and UT-300R2 modems? I could not get any reference to the later one on the internet. Now BSNL is giving the R2 modem in the eastern region and I want to know what I am losing by having the earlier version, as I intend to purchase the modem outright. The spec sheet of the UT-300R modem is available at http://www.utstar.com/Solutions/Document_L.../SS_UT300RA.pdf . Can anyone give me a broad comparison of the details? Also, does the R2 modem support ADSL 2+ technology by any chance?

sitardivine owns the R2 modem. there should not be much diff. betn. the two. i think they have changed the button layout, look and a bit of firmware upgrade and made it look like a newly launched product...

i have both the 300r and the new r2, the hassle, i manage to setup the old one as a router no hassle, this new one ,, just wont work, it doesnt have a debug helper to tell you what the freaking error is either, banging my head to get it working , if anyone has info on this do share please !!dhruv

Hmm...So R2 has a silly Firmware Upgrade as I had said before !!! :lol:

A buggy one for that matter.In my 300R2 box, I tried configuring it to dial automatically, from the modem.No use, it doesn't even tell me that there is an error. 🙁 I probably found another interesting bug. Posting in a separate thread. 😉

That's why I didn't go for those cheap utstar/huwaei modems from BSNL...Bought my own D-Link DSL-502T and am a very happy user till date ! :lol:

D-Link DSL-502T : Brand new box pack + 1 year warranty : Rs. 1900-2500Contact : Eastronics Infocom, Kolkata. Contact - Mr.Vikas, Cell-9831131385.

Thanks for the info. In case my modem which has been purchased from BSNL collapses then I can buy the D-Link one from Mr Vikas. As also friends in those exchnages which dont have Modem to sell but only for rent, can buy the modem from D link now after I email them the details.

Here's how you enable the dialer for PPPoE in the UT 300r2. In the web interface, go to the Setup menu and delete all the connections you see there EXCEPT the pvc_0_35. Select the pvc_0_35 connection and modify the Type option on the right side of the screen to PPPoE. Enter in your user id and password. Now go to the Tool menu, choose System Commands and select Save All. After this, choose the Restart button. Once the modem restarts, the dialer should automatically connect to the internet and the PPPoE led should be green.

Originally posted by agnivo007@May 26 2005, 03:21 AM
D-Link DSL-502T : Brand new box pack + 1 year warranty : Rs. 1900-2500
Contact : Eastronics Infocom, Kolkata. Contact - Mr.Vikas, Cell-9831131385.
[snapback]10161[/snapback]
[/quote]

D-Link website says that all adsl modems carry 3 yr warranty

Hey agnivo007 is the Rs 1900-2500 price for the smuggled chinnese version or Indian company distributed version?You can check that by looking at the box ,if its the indian version it would have an authorised distributer stamp and offcourse it wud be provided by a TIN no bill.

I am not too sure about any warranty that a smuggled version would carry.

heyi got both of em, as i understand the r2 is not as good as the r, when you look at the DSL connection speed in the r2 it shows 2mbps and the r is always at 8mbps. some sort of snag in there .. i spoke with bsnl the other day and they mentioned that they have heard of people complaining about the r2 .i cant say i have had issues with it so far, works fine for me on bothcheersdhruv

I have one R and one R2 as well. Co-incodentally the R2 which is at my office gives me a slower speed. All the while I wrote it off as though it was a virus problem. I need to swap modems and be sure of it because it could be a inferior modem as pointed out by you.

Originally posted by bfii@Jun 2 2005, 01:23 PM
Here's how you enable the dialer for PPPoE in the UT 300r2.

In the web interface, go to the Setup menu and delete all the connections you see there EXCEPT the pvc_0_35.

Select the pvc_0_35 connection and modify the Type option on the right side of the screen to PPPoE. Enter in your user id and password.

Now go to the Tool menu, choose System Commands and select Save All.

After this, choose the Restart button.

Once the modem restarts, the dialer should automatically connect to the internet and the PPPoE led should be green.
[snapback]11130[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks bfii...

Finally I got it working following your steps.

I noticed that it had been slow, and offen experienced page load issues. However, checking the MTU used by windows, I realized the MTU was 1452 and my modem had 1472.
Once I set the MTU to 1452 on the modem, and add a default route in the linux box to the modem's internal IP address , I'm all set.
😀