Plz Recommend A Service For Me

• Thread starter Thread starter Amit_S
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1,843

Amit_S

ISP
Hathway
I am a Hathway customer-been for a few months now. For all this time I've been getting slow speeds- on their 512kbps plan I was getting max 6KBps downloads. Currently on their 64kbps plan I get generally 2-3 KBps. It increases to a max of 4kbps. I did initially complain about their speeds-but they assured me its normal. I didnt know better until I posted a question on these forums enquiring about download speeds.I've lost connection since the 10th of this month. Its been a week now- no response- disgusting.I'm goin to take my business elsewhere.....but cant decide on what....I'm a student so the max I plan to shell out is approx Rs500....or say...a max of Rs700/month.I want unlimited downloads or at least 2GB/month- I'm into animation......What would you guys recommend..? There is this plan with BSNL which suits me perfectly- but they dont serve in Mumbai 🙁Currently from all the plans I've seen the one which seems to fit me is Mtnl Triband DSL NU. The max speed is 256kbps at unlimited night downloads at Rs590/month.Unfortunately I'll have to wait for a month to 1.5 months -they are building a new server in my area- Borivali east. At least thats what they told me.So does anyone know of any plan which is better than the above and suits my needs perfectly?1 last ting- those who do have the mentioned triband plan- what is your average speed?

I have MTNL's NU (590) plan.Speeds are good I get 220 - 230 kbps on 256 kbps line.Currently getting 2 mbps but that going to end soon, and it will be back to 256 kbps.This plan seems to be the best fit for your budget. But you will need to schedule net connection to re-connect at 12 in night and 8 in morning. And you will need to schedule your downloads to run at this time.Normal browsing / surfing / small downloads can be accomodated in 1 GB daytime linit.

QUOTE(netfreak @ Jan 17 2007, 05:13 PM) [snapback]75625[/snapback]
Speeds are good I get 220 - 230 kbps on 256 kbps line.

Currently getting 2 mbps but that going to end soon, and it will be back to 256 kbps.[/b]

Hye! Thnx for the reply.
But the above 2 sentences confuse me :blink:
What 2mbps are u talking about? You have a 256kbps line, right?
And this might sound stupid....but when u say u get 220-230 kbps- do u mean u actually download videos/files etc at that speed? Meaning at around 28KBps?

yes, actual download speeds are at 28 - 30KB/s.MTNL is updrading most of connections to 2 Mb/s. Officially NU plan is not one of the connections to be upgraded, but some NU connections have been upgraded. So we are enjoying while 2 mbps lasts.In any case, you can expect "at least" 28KB/s.

QUOTE(Amit_S @ Jan 17 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]75620[/snapback]
I am a Hathway customer-been for a few months now. For all this time I've been getting slow speeds- on their 512kbps plan I was getting max 6KBps downloads. Currently on their 64kbps plan I get generally 2-3 KBps. It increases to a max of 4kbps. I did initially complain about their speeds-but they assured me its normal. I didnt know better[/b]
ROTFLROTFL hehehe... hathway retards 😛 6KBps on a 512Kbps ( 64KBps ) plan. hehe... if you have guts buddy write a strong letter to their top brass informing them that they are violating QoS standards set down by TRAI which say that ANY BROADBAND ISP must provide its BROADBAND users with minimum 80% bandwidth AND there is also a clause for the down time. I dont remember it correctly. Incase they dont provide it then you can take your case to the consumer court where they will see this as a deficiency of service and you can claim a compensation upto 1 lakh rupees! 🙂 Anywayz, if you're a pussy...dont take any such action. Go in for MTNL TriBand or manage with something like Reliance's Rconnect. It provides pretty good speeds. Also find out if Airtel serves your area...

QUOTE(netfreak @ Jan 17 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]75642[/snapback]
yes, actual download speeds are at 28 - 30KB/s.

MTNL is updrading most of connections to 2 Mb/s. Officially NU plan is not one of the connections to be upgraded, but some NU connections have been upgraded. So we are enjoying while 2 mbps lasts.

In any case, you can expect \"at least\" 28KB/s.[/b]

Thnx for replying again. I understand the part about 2mbps now. And "at least" 28KB/s.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow!

Another thing- I spoke to this exec from MTNL yesterday. After she gave me a list of all the positive features like the speed (unmatched in India, she said......does sound true after reading your stuff), unltd night downloads- I directly asked her what negative experiences do customers mostly have?
I did'nt expect much of an answer but she was straighforward in her replies.
1.If there is a long distance between your main telephone line and the PC, you might get frequent disconnections.
2.If you are located too far away from an MTNL centre/MTNL main server buildings- you might not get max speeds and again might have disconnection problems.
3.When I asked her about after sales sevice -she said that they do have call centres. If a problem requires that a technician go to a customers house- they are dispatched at earliest. At this point I asked her about the reliability of the technician showing up- she said that if the tech does not show up -it would be that technicians fault -lazy or something- at that point I'll have to get in touch with the area officer.

So have you experienced any of these problems? The only ting I'm really worried about is frequent disconnections. How often do you get disconnected?

QUOTE(Kanou @ Jan 17 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]75698[/snapback]
You tele previously Iqara has some good packages, check these out. i would personally recommend the night unlimited plan 😵. 256kbps unlimited for about 12 hours everyday and unlimited entire day on Sundays ^^ for 500 bucks a month

http://www.youtele.com/homeuser/homeuser-nightplans.php
http://www.youtele.com/homeuser/homeuser-mbplans.php[/b]

Thnx man.
But I'm getting only negative reviews about Iqara- although their rates do sound attractive.

QUOTE(max @ Jan 17 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]75705[/snapback]
ROTFLROTFL hehehe... hathway retards 😛 6KBps on a 512Kbps ( 64KBps ) plan. hehe... if you have guts buddy write a strong letter to their top brass informing them that they are violating QoS standards set down by TRAI which say that ANY BROADBAND ISP must provide its BROADBAND users with minimum 80% bandwidth AND there is also a clause for the down time. I dont remember it correctly. Incase they dont provide it then you can take your case to the consumer court where they will see this as a deficiency of service and you can claim a compensation upto 1 lakh rupees! 🙂 Anywayz, if you're a pussy...dont take any such action. Go in for MTNL TriBand or manage with something like Reliance's Rconnect. It provides pretty good speeds. Also find out if Airtel serves your area...[/b]

Hmmm.....I didnt know India has legal laws for ISPs.
I'm not much of a techie- and frankly I dont think I'll drag them in court cause it sounds too time consuming...but assuming I do- how can I prove that my download rates were so-and-so. Is there any command or software I can use to actually record data transfer and file download speeds?
Airtel, eh? OK-will check them out.

well, consumer court cases are generally cleared up in a year and half at max. as for the proof, you can record a video while downloading. you better talk to a lawyer or consumer protection agencies like grahak panchayat incase you're in mumbai 😛

even consumer courts have started taking too much time now...somtimes upto 3 yrs...