URGENT HELP NEEDED - EVERYONE PLZZZZZZZZ

sunandoghosh

ISP
depends
Hi...........everyone......

At last i found this forum........thank GOD.............best forum so far i have come around..........thansks to moderator and everyone else here...

Plzzzzzzz does anyone have any knowledge of affordable high speed say 256 or 512 Kbps in Kolkata...........i am stuck with my current situation...............plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :huh:

I dont want volume based (limiting to 500 MB or 1 GB) or time based (25 hrs at 512kbps per month)..... i want unlimited monthly at 512kbps or 256 kbps........thankssss in advanceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited by a moderator:
ok. here is a suggestion to stay here... do not be overly excited.

There are many local operators depending on ur area ... u can try few of themmm ..Btw our cableguy started his own internet on same sify wires with same lan authentication and has has 2 Mbps plans tooo ( dont ask cost

Well I have been on cable internet for last 1 year which is on 64kbps...

Now I have been thinking of upgrading it to 256kbps or 512kbps....(the fact that we can upgrade to 256kbps or 512kbps...i came to know a few days back only; infact what is kbps and what does 64;256 or 512kbps imply; i came to know a few days back only)

Now I am really confused as to certain following questions as when things comes to technical side of computer and on top of it networking..I am at a total loss...

Before putting forward my questions, i would like to give the link to the plan which i am considering to take:

http://www.tataindicombroadband.com/access...post-india.html

Please see the link above (its just one small page) and be kind enough to answer my following questions...............

1. I can take either USB Modem connections OR Router connections. Now Modem costs me rs2000 and router costs rs3000.

Now i know that modem is something which we need to connect to internet. But why it costs rs 2000 and what is router and why it is costly?

Do i get any advantage if i take router over modem (i presume we do most probably thats why router is costing more)?

But what is the definite advantage?

Finally which one should I take and why?

Will it still be usable after i leave this companys connection?

2. In the bottom of the page u can see that

"Note: 1 Free Static IP for all router connections. " is available...

Now I dont understand what is static IP address and does it have any advantage....

3. Plus I want to use this connection broadband from home PC. But say if i am in different city can i take advantage of this broadband internet in another city on another PC possibly by entering my login and password? (sorry if this q was too stupid)

4. Any other suggestions, comments, opinions....also does know of any other service which one can take from Kolkata, India apart from i mentioned...

I tried to understand what is router, static ip address on google but its too tough for a newbie like me....

I want to use home PC for online share trading which requires live real time streaming quotes from stock excahnges and instant execution of order...hence the need to upgrade...i dont want to host web server; email server (i hope the last few words were not meaningless...)

Plz clarify in as much detail as possible with ur recommendation........

and yes please explain to me in simpler terms (i am incapable of understanding too much technical computer terms; i am a purely finance guy: just i am to use computer to do work for online stock trading)

I dont want volume based (limiting to 500 MB or 1 GB per month) or time based (25 hrs at 512kbps per month)..... but seems to have no option either

Thank you very very much for taking your time to read and reply,

With best regards,

Sunando

Hi,If you want to be more pally for speed then according to me BSNL is a good option till June 2005. There Home 250 & Home 1000 plans are good but I don't know if they are available in Kolkatta.Also the modem (Huawei SmartAX MT880) they offer is a modem-cum-router so you don't have to buy a seperate router. A router is required if you want to use more than 1 computer with same internet connection. Basically it is good to take a modem cum router if you are willing to spend rs.2000-3000. Also you have to make sure that your computer has a USB port so that the USB modem can be connected to your PC. If not then ask for a ethernet modem cum router. BSNL is currently having introductory offers so don't know what they will offer after June 2005. kbjkbj1

Hi kbjkbj1,

"If you want to be more pally for speed then according to me BSNL is a good option till June 2005. "

Why its good option only till june 2005 and why not therefater...unable to figure out....

"There Home 250 & Home 1000 plans are good but I don't know if they are available in Kolkatta."

Home 250 plan is not on website yes home 1000 plan is avaiulable but with data cap of 2gb

http://www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone_tariff.htm

"BSNL is currently having introductory offers so don't know what they will offer after June 2005. "

seems after june 30, 2005 there is something special....can u explian what plz

Thank u so much for replying to my queries...man thanks again

sunanod

hi sunando,
As u are from kolkata, I would suggest you to get BSNL DataOne Business 1200 plan with 4 GB Datalimit. I wouldn't recommend TATA Indicom as it is not available in all areas and I have learnt from feedbacks of my friends that the service is unreliable, shabby, with very less speed and security. You have mentioned that you do online share-trading and require unlimited plan. But my friend, 4GB a month is not a little thing to think of and it is always-on. If u believe me, for online share trading it would do just fine. And your service also dosen't stop after 4GB! Buy the modem from BSNL for Rs.2000 and they will configure it for u. U can even share the connection with multiple PCs if u like. I have bben using DataOne and I am extremely satisfied with no problems. Go for DataOne at all costs and not TATA Indicom !!
I think that after June30, BSNL will either increase the Data limit or reduce the charges. Till then take ur decision and post your reply...

Sorry it's Home 500 and not Home 250.Also after June 2005 nobody knows what new tariff's they will launch.......maybe they will be good or bad for the customers. Also as agnivo007 says you should go for the 4 GB Datalimit if cost is not your constraint. kbjkbj1