• Thread starter Thread starter baudhayan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 6,111

baudhayan

Regulars
ISP
Hathway 50 Mbps+ Vodafone 3G
Friends.... I guess most of us are already on the 2 Mbps bandwagon & have also experienced the zooming speeds. So share the download speeds which you are mostly getting nowadays.

its my pleasure to point out that download speed is always kBps and not kbps

QUOTE(sanke1 @ Jan 15 2007, 10:10 PM) [snapback]75330[/snapback]
its my pleasure to point out that download speed is always kBps and not kbps[/b]
No, it's not always KBps or Kbps.

KBps = Kilobytes per second.
Kbps = Kilobits per second.
1 Mbps = 1000 Kilobits per second BUT 1 MBps = 1024 KBps.
That's the basic difference between bits and bytes.
So to calculate the relation between b and B, you always have to start from bits and bytes.
And 1 byte = 8 bits.

Therefore,

256 Kbps = 32KBps (That's the standard that most browsers, p2p clients, and download accelerators use).
2 Mbps = 250KBps (Not 256 KBps).

QUOTE(Apoorv Khatreja @ Jan 15 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]75344[/snapback]
No, it's not always KBps or Kbps.

KBps = Kilobytes per second.
Kbps = Kilobits per second
And 1 byte = 8 bits.
Therefore,

256 Kbps = 32KBps (That's the standard that most browsers, p2p clients, and download accelerators use).
2 Mbps = 256KBps.[/b]

Apoorv is absolutely right. My only mistake was it shud hv been KBps instead of Kbps. Sorry for tht. The explanation given by him are standard Internet metrics. Your Internet Bandwidth in Kilo bits per second (Kbps) divided by 8 is what is shown in Kilo Bytes per second (KBps) by all Browsers & Download managers. No more fights on this stupid issue please..... 😀

@ GSV13 - Whts written in my profile is perfectly correct 😛

@ sushubh - Can u change Kbps to KBps 😀

i am getting around 250KBps

Internet connection speed results:Time to Download: 24.75second(s) Your Bandwidth: 1823.95Kbps (1.781Mbps)this is what i get.

Someone in this forum suggested 2 change da Modulation settings in the Modem from Multi-Mode to G.DMT. After tht I suddenly got a d/l speed of 280 KBps while d/l'ing from the Microsoft site.

220 KB/S is approx 90% of 2 Mb/S.Would be difficult to go higher then that. Keep in mind that some bandwidth is wasted in http/torrent traffic and does not count towards download speed in download manager / torrent client. Nearly every protocol newsgroup/ftp/... has the same problem.

QUOTE(baudhayan @ Jan 16 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]75489[/snapback]
Someone in this forum suggested 2 change da Modulation settings in the Modem from Multi-Mode to G.DMT. After tht I suddenly got a d/l speed of 280 KBps while d/l'ing from the Microsoft site.

[/b]
lol its impossible to et 280 kBps dowlaod speed.

fr ur pic and file size i think its small speed burst which materializes on 215kps if file is large

^i think the same...though microsoft has one of the fastest servers available...still it can't go above 256 kBps theoretically...

try some big file like 20 or 30 mB then send because its dosn't happen.
you download approx. 500 kB file & your connection is 2mBps.

my connection is 512 kBps and it sometime show 187 or someting kBps.

@sanke1 - even I'm aware of da fact tht its a small burst. I just gave da screenshot because it was something unusual. Its nothing to do with speeds I get regularly. Plz change the way u post....there r smarter ppl than u in this forum 😛