• Thread starter Thread starter v1rus
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,803

v1rus

Regular
ISP
Airtel
I am looking for a GPS tracking device for my car. I have found out that most of the options available in Indian Market come with a subscription model where in you get locked to the service provided by the company marketing the devcie (most of devices I have seen on websites look like chineese OEM). So in case the device marketing company go out of the bussiness or if they start charging exhobirant amount you are out of luck.
eg: http://www.mapmyindia.com/tracking
Price: 10,000
Yearly Tracking Package: 3600
I tried to find devices which are not bound to the subscription mdoel we have here in India and found out that there are devices from chinese OEM where in they provide an intervice to the device via SMS and only recurring charges one has to pay is to the cellular company.
eg: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-GPS-Tracker-GSM-GPRS-Tracking-Device-Remote-Control-Auto-Vehicle-TK103B-R1-/291049794320?pt=GPS_Holders_Mounts&hash=item43c3eb6b10
Price: $45 (~ INR 3000)
Subscription: None
I have tried but I could not find (quality) reviews of such devices and thus I am not sure if I should get one. But looking at the price I think it istotally worth a shot.
Has any body got an opinion on the topic?
Cheers!!

You can basically just get an Android tablet and mount it on the dashboard 🙂

Try finding a friend who works in RAW or CBI 😀 Get one of the sensors like they showed in Breaking Bad 😀

If I would have a friend in RAW or CBI why whould I have been worried about censors?
A call to police from the friend would have expedited my case any ways 🙂

My personal belief is that... If your car is stolen, you should pray that it is never found. If found, it should in a stage where only recycling makes any sense. I cannot think of driving a recovered stolen car ever.

I am planning to invest in a GPS tracking device because it can give you information about your car before much harm is done.
Consiedring the fact that I paid around 1l for registration and road tax which I will never recover from insurance company incase my car get stolen, I think a device priced at INR3k is worth giving a try 🙂

Right. It is insane that they charge close to 10% of the value of the car for registration. That is daylight robbery considering the kind of roads we get here in the country and of course we still pay toll taxes on all major highways.
This is one of the few reasons I am still stuck on a Linea 4.5 years after I purchased it. I got lucky and paid just around 8K for registration back then. Today the same would cost me 70K I think.
I wish they made it mandatory for automakers to only advertise prices that are inclusive of everything.
Also. Just realized. Your Honda City has arrived?! 😀 Congrats.

The same linnea for which I made you an offier? 😉
I agree but it would have been headache for the manufacturers, we have different rate of taxation in different states and top of that different taxes apply in different states (octrio etc) and thus I do not think manufacturers are not at fault at not including R&RT in price.
Having said that, even manufacturers are not as Honest as my statement above may of depicted them. Handlig charges anybody??
Also. Just realized. Your Honda City has arrived?! 😀 Congrats.
Thanks 🙂

Exactly. You really have to push to get the final figure. My recent visit to the Renault showroom. I clearly asked the price for the fully loaded model and he gave a figure to me. And I just casually ask that it does include all the airbag options right? He said no, just one. I was like dude... what does fully loaded means?