• Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 6,283
Status
Not open for further replies.

cutebandar

ISP
MTNL
Hello
Currently I have a 4mbps (till 15gb) plan from airtel in new delhi area. I am planning to take airtel's iptv connection. SO I talked to the area airtel guy and he said that the connection should be taken in a separate line and not in the same line as the current internet line . Because otherwise it might affect the speed of the internet. Can he be right about this ? Does anyone else have speed issues on their net because of iptv ?
Cost of installation is Rs.3500 (irrespective of whether the connection is taken in the same line or separate)
monthly SD Rs.400
Please suggest whether I should take a separate connection or take the iptv connection in the current dsl line itself.
Thanks

No need of a second line. Take it on the same line.

It would not affect the speed of the internet but if your line quality is not good... Your IPTV might get glitchy during periods of torrenting because that really congests the line.
PS. Based on my experience of using Airtel IPTV few years ago. Back then the max speed they offered on IPTV enabled broadband connections was 2mbps because of this reason. 6mbps was reserved for the iptv port.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a talk with an airtel guy and this time he said that since the internet speed was 4 mbps, iptv on the same line won't be a problem. I guess its nothing to worry about 🙂 .WIll update you guys about the connection *if* I (mum) do decide to get this.
btw Another thing that was revealed
- if the iptv is taken in the second line then the cost of iptv will be 399 (for SD) + 699 (for a compulsory internet connection) . This info isn't on airtel's site...
if you already have an airtel connection and are planning to take iptv on the same line you don't have to worry about the 699.

IPTV does not use your internet so the speed of the internet does not matter.

Yes, but doesn't it still uses the same line that my internet does (I am just guessing here btw) So if the line speed itself is very low, as might have been the case with older 256kbps connections. then having both the internet and iptv might slow things down ??

Though physical line for Internet and IPTV is same, both these service operate on virtual channels inside cable. So internet glitches should not affect IPTV service. For IPTV there is session created between headend and STB, and TV content is streamed on this session. Headend takes care that session created maintains needed speed, error correction, etc transmission details. While Internet service works on best effort scenario, so internet connection speed varies on different factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.