• Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 6,280

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Let's hope it fails. lol.Google executive chairman expects U.S. approval of Lenovo-Motorola deal — news.yahoo.com
Google Inc Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt expressed confidence on Monday that Lenovo Inc would gain approval from U.S. regulators to buy Google's Motorola smart-phone hardware business in what would be China's biggest technology acquisition to date.Schmidt said he saw "a good chance" of the deal passing muster with the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, or CFIUS, which monitors acquisitions by overseas corporations.

This news is sort of confusing. Google did not acquire parts of Lenovo technically. They sort of got it as part of the Motorola payment.
The headline makes it look like that Google is targeting Microsoft by starting acquisition of a large PC maker. Instead they just got Lenovo shares as part of the payment for Moto.
But overall this is a good thing. Google can probably get Lenovo to invest more resources in their Chrome OS ecosystem which is growing at a good pace.

I'm excited about what the next chapter in Motorola's storied history will bring under the new ownership of Lenovo. While Google imbued simplicity and software sensibility into the company, Lenovo will bring it the scale it deserves. I have no doubt the two companies together will be a force for good in the mobile industry. To ensure that Motorola maintains its current momentum and successfully transitions to Lenovo ownership, Jonathan Rosenberg, a longtime Googler and SVP of Products from 2002 to 2011, will step in as COO at Motorola Mobility as of April 1. Jonathan worked very closely with me to build the leadership team at Motorola and has been intimately involved in steering business and product decisions alongside with the current leadership team. Google Chief Business Officer Nikesh Arora will remain Executive Chairman of the Motorola Operating Board, and continue to oversee the strategy.
This sounds good. The Official Motorola Blog: My Departure From Motorola

Motorola is now part of Lenovo

Motorola is now "a Lenovo company," but the brand will remain as a subsidiary of Lenovo, headquartered in Chicago. "The iconic Motorola brand will continue, as will the Moto and DROID franchises that have propelled our growth over the past year," explains Rick Osterloh, Motorola president. "We will continue to focus on pure Android and fast upgrades, and remain committed to developing technology to solve real consumer problems."