Summary of the Complaint...

• Thread starter Thread starter ankurraheja
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 48
  • Views Views 8,025
Originally posted by ankurraheja@May 1 2005, 04:38 PM

(can anybody throw more light, when this condition of 150 MB was released and does that condition of 75 MB download in a day exists now and more on how you feel cheated with this 150 MB conditon... like when exactly you come to know about this conditon after purchase of package)

There is no exact limit at 150 MB.. its around 400 MB.. but once u cross 400 MB suppose u download 450 MB that means u used 300 MB extra and u r charged 2 days... Speed here is not a problem..

in morning its 300 KB/s for download B = Bytes
and whole day its around 30 KB/s

my official pack is 48 kbps b=bits

the limit is nothing... it can be cheated and once i posted in that regard but my post was closed by saurav... the great Moderator.. now its time to ask those moderators few ques...

Now sify has provided the option that if you dont want to install their antivirus you just call them and ask them to disable that optionAuto disconenctions also i think get removed after the heartbeat feature is disabled. I dont know whether other users are still facing the disconenction problemCan you put one more point AnkurThey do mac binding with the ip address, and if you change the LAN card you have to call them to re-register a new mac address, and from some where i got to know that the lower agents can re-register the mac address only once, next time you have to mail to higher level CCE and ask them to do thisThis surely is going to take a day or 2 minimum.Also ankur can you please list the procedure in a How - TO document, of filing a complaint in the consumer court.One more thing the CCE's normally close the case even if the problem is still around. They dont even care to ask for a confirmation from the customer. Add this to the point 4 "Customer care do not respond in a reasonable time, though they have ISO 9002 certification"Good Luck for the caseBTW what kind of punishment the court is going to give to sifyAlso is it possible to ask the court to ask sify to refund the installation charges for any customer who is not satisfied with their service.

validity reduction is there after downloading 150mb. I was not told about this, as i explained in my previous post that speed used to hit 33kbps exactly after 100mb for 4 months & one day it was not triping(4 april 2005) cause they put new condition of 150mb & our cto & cc misguided us that sify has removed speed cap. we were not told about reduction so everybody in my locality starded downloading 24x7 but when we checked our account then we came to know that sify has done it again. we were not informed by the cto or cc. 🙁

ankur, make it clear
there are two different points:

1. MAC/IP binding. (This may actually be held legal, as it is often done all over the world). Simply make it clear that they are often unresponsive on this issue.

2. Port blocking (as separate from above). Say that due to this we can't use a lot of software. Also, it is not clear at what level this is done ie CTO or Sify and u are tossed about. Sometimes they open the ports on request only to close them. Make it very clear that there is NO SECURITY RISK FOR AN ISP TO OPEN PORTS. Indeed, that is their job. Claiming a security risk and blocking nearly all ports is like saying the net is dangerous so we will take your money and not provide u a net connection to save u frm all viruses, hackers etc. That risk is entirely our personal problem. Say that BSNL/MTNL (dialup) do not block ports, so why should Sify? (this is important, cos BSNL and MTNL are "official PSU ISPs") At most only a few ports must be blocked to protect the ISPs own servers IF AT ALL. Say in a proper setup, even that is not usually necessary. In fact go to http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/selscan.asp?S=2049 and find how many ports are blocked on dialup (check all 65000 ports). Compare this number to Delhi Sify connection. Claim that they do this to prevent downloads (so as to save money). Make it clear that these downloads are LEGAL (specifically, say u are LEGALLY downloading linux - a FREE OS - over BT).

And after u get a judgement, let us know cos we can then approach TRAI and make these buffoons suffer.

I don't see the need to mention BT till they bring it up. Technically BT is not illegal but it can be used for such purposes.

I say bring it up as an example of how Sify is depriving us of legal usage of the internet. Establish that we face problem in getting s/w to run, and hence are unable to use the net to the fullest.

Supreme! I will provide you the Information...Ajay! Its really strange that they say there was no such cap.Shame on SIFY Broadband 😛Whatever they are doing... is delibrate... as they think they will be able to escape Law.... as by the time decision comes, there will be altogether different conditions... so they won't be held liable. But this is not going to happen... SIFY BroadBand 😛Hope to get some order, whereby SIFY will be restricted from Indulging in Unfair Trade Practices in whatever form.Punishment... will be in the form some compensation, which though is not much.But surely lists of "other Reliefs" is long.And by filing more complaints against SIFY broadBand, can make them suffer more B) Thanks everybody for your comments !

Originally posted by parminder@May 8 2005, 11:48 PM
    i am actually looking for a good isp in uttam nagar area in delhi and all which is available is sify i need it for my parents so we dont have to spend money on phone calls which are really costly 🙂  plz post any suggestion if you have any
[snapback]9026[/snapback]
[/quote]

try www.phonewalared.com 🙂 we're using the same in my office and it's less than Rs. 2/- per min for US...should be the same or a bit more for UK...i think that's the cheapest around here...in case u're still interested in the phone thing...

Click here for the
Final Summary

This is what was submitted in the court...
The first condition refers to what existed last year... when I had connection.

I have tried to cover whatever was possible... 🙂

sorry ankur I have read this thread today only so I know I cant help you much anyway there are certain things you have missed out.1.If you read terms and conditions ,they not only mention 150 mB d/l limit but also max 6hrs usage per day in every unlimited connection ,this is never mentioned anywhere in any advertisements till date..2.They say that last mile connectivity is offered by CTO so they are not taking any responsibilities towards him,how can they than include conditions like"installation charges are not refundable" cos if for any reason CTO decides to disconnect any connection or constantly bothers his client by not providing any service after some time( as in my case )or quits sify altogether then what should a customer do .I have to change my CTO after 3 months as last one never provided me any service, after paying a hefty installation charges of Rs2500 as he was unable to lure any more clients in my building so not making much profit with my line and when I asked him to refund installation he said installation charges are not refundable so either I should be satisfied with the service (I WAS GETTING INTERNET FOR ONLY 15 -20 DAYS PER MONTH)or I should seek A new ISP .I hope I made myself clear.3. Terms and conditions are signed b/w two parties and should be binding for both ,how can sify than sneek lines in b/w like "Terms and condition can be changed anytime without notice".THat means terms and conditions are only for the customer ,while no such thing for sify.What if the sify decides to add conditions some time later like"A connection can be terminated anytime by sify for no reason if it decides to do so without giving any notice to the customer and customer shall seek no compensation towards it anyhow"4.They make tall claims in ads that they are using suffisticated technology to provide internet services like wireless internet and cat5 cables etc.What if the CTO clearly defies norms by not using proper equipment and technique to provide last mile connectivity .for Example if a CTO 1. uses substandred hubs and switches an other equipment.2.Do not use proper backup during powercuts.Well hubs can work but switches need constant power supply with no voltage fluctuations ,otherwise they get hanged and need to be restarted.3.The quality of net service also depends on distance of user from start pt of the service ,so a limit should be specified in terms of area in which a service should be provided ,a greedy CTO can be lured to provide service outside the capacity of his LAN.Well I was around 3KM distant from my CTO so that was the reason for frequent disconnections etc.One or the other switch seems to be down always.A customer pays a hefty installation charges towards installation and if gets a poor service due to any of above reasons he is cheated by the CTO Moreover sify never specifies any norms to the CTO nor does they check any of there CTOs for fall in standards.

When is the result going to be out.When do we expect the court to give its final verdict Ankur