Any dongles that give HSPA+ speeds?

• Thread starter Thread starter ShahK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 3,097
ISP
Hathway
I live in Vadodara, Gujarat.
We have 3G coverage at my house from Vodafone, Reliance, Tata.
I see on Vodafone and Reliance site that they have HSPA+ network up to 21mbps. Do they have dongles that will give this speed?
It was confusing to research online, as I don't know whether HSPA+ coverage is available in my area or not. Or, does HSPA+ work over normal 3g?

Most/all reliance and vf towers are HSPA+. Max speed I've achieved is 16mbps on reliance. However, speed can vary a lot, depending location. By any unlocked dongle supporting 21mbps and you shall be fine. AFAIK, reliance doesn't have 3G in Gujarat. Only idea, tata, Vodafone and bsnl do.

if you have any dongle available you can use "'mdma" to see if the operator is having a QoS with HSPA+ capabilities in your area.
however MDMA may not work with all modems or with some models it may fail to show QoS

Another way would be to ask your friend to let you test using his SIM (if you don't already have that operator with you) using a tether connection from
smartphone to PC for best results from speedtest.net
Most newer smartphones have atleast 14.4mbps 3G modem chip inbuilt, so it may help you decide before you go for actual USB Dongle.

I have a Nexus 5 with a Vodafone SIM. I get "H" on my phone not H+.
But then N5 doesn't have the 2100/2300 band. Would that be cause of the difference?

ShahK said:
I have a Nexus 5 with a Vodafone SIM. I get "H" on my phone not H+.
But then N5 doesn't have the 2100/2300 band. Would that be cause of the difference?
The Nexus 5 has the 2100 band. A Nexus 5 will not show H+, only H.
Go to Settings->About phone->status to check if your phone is on HSPA+.
What speeds do you get?

Thanks. I went to the phone status and it shows HSPA/HSPA+ (keeps changing).
So, if I get a Vodafone dongle, I should be able to also get HSPA+ right?
Depending on server, I get 2 - 7Mbps, generally averaging 4-5 Mbps I think.

You'll not get more than what you already get on your nexus. Hspa acts as a fallback in times when data isn't being used, once you start using data, it'll switch to HSPA+ immediately.

You can also go for Vodafone K4201 (21mbps) that has been recently launched by Vodafone for INR999 and you get a better 3g pckg on that. Although it would be locked to Vodafone initially but you can unlock it anytime.

K4201 is available on eBay India in UNLOCKED state at quite cheap price, Rs.1275/- and one can easily save 7-10% using his bank's
discount coupon.
Haven't seen 21mbps cable modems this cheap until now.