Please advise if I should get Airtel ? and which router/modem?

• Thread starter Thread starter fullback
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 4,617
ISP
MTNL Triband
Hi all,
I stay in Thakur Village, Kandivali (E), Mumbai. I have been using MTNL triband for the past 3 months, and I am frustrated. I used to have Hathway as well, but had billing problems with them as well.
Long story short, I am contemplating Airtel broadband - "New Turbo 25GB ( 4mbps - upto 25GB - 512kbps later @1199/-pm).
My questions:
1. How is the performance of Airtel broadband in Thakur Village/kandivali ?. I have been reading mixed reviews and confused how will it perform in the area where I stay.
2. I have a 4BHK, and I was thinking of getting TP-Link TD-8968 Modem Router. Will it work with Airtel?
The reason I am thinking of purchasing this, inspite Airtel guys saying I will get a free wifi router is because I want good coverage throughout my house.
I am confused between 3 models :
https://www.flipkart.com/router/compare?ids=RTRD4KY4UNGYCZFG,RTRDET9AGHDZE6HM,RTRDGGQ754BDWH7UWhich one should I buy? Or should I stick with the free one, and only buy if not satisfied with the free one?
3. What does the antenna capacity - MIMO/3dbi/5dbi compare when coverage is concerned. Which is better?
Thanks.

Why?! When you have mtnl, why even think of airtel.

Well, the MTNL triband keeps disconnecting every 5 minutes. I had raised a complaint , the technician came and checked the line, and it was working fine for a couple days, and back to the same old story again.
I just don't have the patience and time to keep following up on something like an internet connection. I need a solution which works reliably, when I need it. Hathway was good in that respect, but I had a fallout with them when I discovered that they were incorrectly charging me. I do not want to continue with them on an ethical ground. When I know they have tried to cheat me once, I can never trust them again.
edit : I just ordered the Airtel "Fibernet 30GB - @16mbps - 1599/- ". Hope it works. Not buying the modem/router right now, as advised by the Airtel guys. Will buy it later if the standard one which comes doesn't perform well.

Is airtel fibre available at your place?In any case, I'd suggest getting mtnl fixed. Could you post your line stats?

Most probably setting G.DMT mode on your MTNL connection will resolve the frequent disconnection problem. You can do so and decide.

@fullback, are you happy with your switch (from MTNL to Airtel)? Few questions
  • How are the pings on the Airtel line?
  • Is your upload speed capped? What's the max (and what do the ADSL stats sync the upload at)?
@x720, you are an MTNL loyalist, aren't you? I have been one for quite some time, but due to the distance from the exchange I'm not too happy with the disconnects.

Not much of a loyalist, but mtnl works really well for me, so that's that. You could put it down to the exchange being nearby and having a dedicated junction box just for my house, but, in the past 3-4 years, I don't recall any significant downtime.

That said, if the issues you're facing can't be fixed or aren't being fixed, get something else.