VOIP & Networking

• Thread starter Thread starter eandhra
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 4,579

eandhra

Me from hyderabad, just got Home-500 256kbps net conection from BSNL and they gave us Huawei Smartex 880 Modem .. As per their instructions I need to login to connect.I am able to connect after login and browsing is smooth and no problems there butI am having couple of issues ..1. VOIP .I got Vonage VOIP adapter and i connected from modem to VOIP phone adpter and it's not working .. Since bsnl imposing login to connect to Net, I guess voip adapter cannot detect net connection .. How can I make VOIP working .. I like to hear from voip users..2. Networking I use laptop so I prefer using Wireless router so that I can get connected sitting anywhere in the house .. I got Belkin wireless router and i connected modem to wireless router ...I cannot connect both wirelessly and through cable from wireless router to laptop .."Need to login to connect" taking away all the freedom...Any one did networking either wirelessly or through cable . please let me know ..

Really Appreciate if any one reply with suggestions .

eandhra- I don't know if voip will work with bsnl but you should be able to use wireless networking with bsnl.
I have a Netgear wireless router, speedstream 5630 adsl modem and the notebooks.
3 weeks back I also used the Huawei modem with my wireless router. No problems. Enter the user/pass in the adsl modem and thats about it. Your router shouldn't really have any problems communicating with your modem. It took me about 1 min to get my connection working wirelessly.
http://forum.seo4india.com/first_impressio...l_dsl-t727.html

Right now, because of a power surge, my modem adaptor got burnt out so I'm using my wifi router's adaptor. Since my router is not active, I configured the bsnl connection through windows networking. I think you should reset the router. And if are selecting the option "my internet connection requires a login", in your router's configuration window, don't select it. You are already logging in to bsnl from your modem. Try connecting from your modem directly to your laptop.

Hi:

Looks like u r on the same page as I was looking a week ago. I am trying to setup the vonage @ my Home. I had sent the vonage router and my folks had registered with BSNL Dataone and hopefully I shd get connection sometime this week.

As regards to ur question, if Dataone is making u to login to the computer, then I guess all u have to do is to make sure UR router understands the IP Address with which U logged in. For this, u have to make some configuration settings in the admin page of VOIP router to have ur VOIP router get the internet.

I would try the following way

Dataone Cable ----> Computer Lan slot

1) find out the IP address of ur machine.

Now DataoneCable ---VOIP Router --> Lan Slot

2) Go to the admin page settings http://urrouterIPaddress/
3) Enter the IP Address u got in Step1 and check the bullet where it says to accept the connection with the Static IP Address.

Let me know. As I am not in INDIA currently, I may not exactly tell u but surely will let u know if my folks are able to get it. Also, wud appreciate if u can share ur experience in this as both of us are in the same situation rite now.

thks/

Originally posted by bugatti@Apr 18 2005, 05:45 PM
eandhra- I don't know if voip will work with bsnl but you should be able to use wireless networking with bsnl.
I have a Netgear wireless router, speedstream 5630 adsl modem and the notebooks.
3 weeks back I also used the Huawei modem with my wireless router. No problems. Enter the user/pass in the adsl modem and thats about it. Your router shouldn't really have any problems communicating with your modem. It took me about 1 min to get my connection working wirelessly.
http://forum.seo4india.com/first_impressio...l_dsl-t727.html

Right now, because of a power surge, my modem adaptor got burnt out so I'm using my wifi router's adaptor. Since my router is not active, I configured the bsnl connection through windows networking. I think you should reset the router. And if are selecting the option \"my internet connection requires a login\", in your router's configuration window, don't select it. You are already logging in to bsnl from your modem. Try connecting from your modem directly to your laptop.
[snapback]8189[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for reply
you mentioned "Enter the user/pass in the adsl modem" .. I have no clue how to do that .. please let me know steps to do that ..

Hi eandhra,

I have taken 256 bsnl broadband connection, and i am using vonage for personal purpose, vonage has sended Linksys broadband router, so it is working as a router also.

kl_systems@yahoo.com

Originally posted by eandhra@Apr 18 2005, 10:23 AM
Really Appreciate if any one reply with suggestions .
[snapback]8179[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi eandhra did U manage to get your problem solved? Well i am also in the same boat. The Indian broadband connections are in premature stage as the service providers don’t provide unlimited 24 h broadband (if they provide the cost is either too high or the service is not available in all cities) and hence need a username/login system to use the broadband. Is it possible to connect the VoIP adapter (ATA) to broadband connection without a computer in the circuit to receive/make VoIP calls in this situation? Is there any ATA in the market which provides the facility of login in to the broadband account (say like on press of a key, without the aid of a computer) the one similar to the dialup VoIP adaptors which goes online by dialing the modem on press of a key?

How to receive the VoIP calls if we are not online 24X7 like in a username/password broadband cases?

Any comment is appreciated

Originally posted by chandrat@Apr 26 2005, 11:59 PM
Hi eandhra,

I have taken 256 bsnl broadband connection, and i am using vonage for personal purpose,  vonage has sended Linksys broadband router, so it is working as a router also.

kl_systems@yahoo.com
[snapback]8514[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hithere:
(1) Is your 256 bsnl connection is 24X7 connection or username/password broadband connection?

(2) If it is a username/password connection how U manage to receive VoIP calls 24X7? Are you receiving calls only when U are online?

(3) When U want to make VoIP calls U login to the broadband A/C through your system then make calls?

(4) vonage router can login to your broadband A/C using username/password on press of a key?

Any comment is appreciated.

Not Vonage but similar. I had a SIP device in Mumbai working with BSNL for a while, till Sunday 15th of October... SIP provider had some problems, but the device has not been able to register ever since... I am wondering whether BSNL is blocking something now...I use the device to be able to get calls form customers while I am in India, without them knowing where I am...Regards

Dear eandhraAll u need is to cofigure ur modem to always on mode and then connect ur voip device and ur computer through a hub or a switch. i think ur r connecting through pppoE, which would not work

Originally posted by aps_ldh@Oct 21 2005, 03:08 PM
Dear eandhra
All u need is to cofigure ur modem to always on mode and then connect ur voip device and ur computer through a hub or a switch. i think ur r connecting through pppoE, which would not work
[snapback]29114[/snapback]
[/quote]

I use MTNL Triband ADSL in Mumbai. I guess it is the same technology as Data1. With ADSL the type of authentication used is PPPoE. From ur modem manuals just get the default web-site address to configure ur modem using browser. This address is mostly http://192.168.1.1 . Check the username &password b4 opening this page. 1ce in this page just go 2 WAN settings & select PPPoE as ur authentication type for PVC0. Also ask BSNL people abt the default username & password being used. This shud b mostly ur Phone No. as username & ur BSNL a/c no as the password. Now set ur PPPoE settings to b always ON. Save all ur settings & reboot the modem/router. Now connect the LAN port of ur modem/rtr to the LAN port of ur wireless rtr. I guess this shud work fine. If u have any probs do reply back.