Nokia waves final goodbye to MeeGo and Symbian

• Thread starter Thread starter socrates
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 4,717
End of Nokia too!.

socrates said:
So True 🙂 No condolences as they committed hara kiri
They had to change with time or perish. They chose to bow out, and it happens with most of other technical objects. Telegraph is gone, Landline has lost its value. Symbian was also such OS which lost its relevance in this age of Smartphones. So it had to go/retire 🙂

I beg to differ with you. Telegraph & Landline are technologies mobile phones are not dead, Nokia's OS is. Even today people swear by the h/w toughness/quality of their phones. it’s just that here Nokia could have dumped the OS they were using to remain relevant but no they did not see the writing on the wall. People’s requirements/expectations had changed & the crappy series 40/60 could not meet the requirements/expectations of people who voted with their feet. here too the management made a stupid statement that they would end support for series 60 which shocked the user base (most of their higher end users) who jumped ship as they felt this company could not be trusted. If they had totally revamped (not the silly fiddling they continue to do) their OS they might have stood a chance. I see this as a mammoth management (Himalayan blunder if you wish) failure at the very top, nothing less. And to add insult to injury they brought in a Trojan horse. There is a talk of a modified android OS (a la Kindle) for the lower end phones which could run apps from Google play. But only time will tell.

Nokia and Symbian are 2 different things.
Symbian was a mobile OS which, if some more efforts were given could have been developed into Smartphone OS matching current trend. But Symbian simply didnt had capacity (technical or financial, or both) to develop it further. Now were their owners (Nokia?) wiling to provide any support.
Nokia as a device manufacturer had option to continue with outdated OS, or go for another OS which would meet current market needs. So they went for new OS (which was WP and not Android).
So who can be blamed here?

SVK said:
Nokia and Symbian are 2 different things.
You are right here 🙂 but no where have I said they are the same thing. Rest is what I have already said (but in a dfferent way). As to who is to blame I have mentioned that in my post above.

socrates said:
I beg to differ with you. Telegraph & Landline are technologies mobile phones are not dead, Nokia's OS is. Even today people swear by the h/w toughness/quality of their phones. it’s just that here Nokia could have dumped the OS they were using to remain relevant but no they did not see the writing on the wall. People’s requirements/expectations had changed & the crappy series 40/60 could not meet the requirements/expectations of people who voted with their feet. here too the management made a stupid statement that they would end support for series 60 which shocked the user base (most of their higher end users) who jumped ship as they felt this company could not be trusted. If they had totally revamped (not the silly fiddling they continue to do) their OS they might have stood a chance. I see this as a mammoth management (Himalayan blunder if you wish) failure at the very top, nothing less. And to add insult to injury they brought in a Trojan horse. There is a talk of a modified android OS (a la Kindle) for the lower end phones which could run apps from Google play. But only time will tell.
Hmm You have summarised it in a concise way, I too followed the Nokia shenanigans online & its nothing but pig headedness of the management failing to see the winds of change blowing & making the required changes wherever required (read the OS) 😀

Most probably more motivated leaks Some people getting their knickers into knots with this, :rofl: But if it works out it will be very interesting & give some of the now established players, a run for their money