Tata Sky DTH now offering HBO Hits & HBO Defined

• Thread starter Thread starter hirenvyas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 17,456
SVK said:
Its not Tata Sky's fault. They are atleast making this channels available unlike other DTH operators who have not even bothered to provide these channels. Recently AIRTEL added Star World Premiere HD for same Rs 60 as charged by TATASKY, and this STAR channel is not part of any other HD pack. Since these HBO channels are not going to broadcast Live Cricket, so majority of Indians won't bother about it, nor will govt interested in it 😀
Well, I have Star Premiere HD and now they are just showing repeat telecasts. I still totally blame TataSky/Star for not negotiating the prices with HBO properly.Their deal conversation must have gone this way:HBO: We have 2 channels we would like to introduceTataSky: Cool bro, whay is your pricing?HBO: Rs. 90 eachTataSky: That's terrific. We will add them to specials category and recover the money from gullible customersHBO: We have a deal.TataSky: It's been a pleasure

Tata Sky alone can't negotiate now. This is why.
TataSKY: Rs 90/month? That's expensive. Can't you bring it lower?
HBO: What problem you have? Dish and Hathaway agreed to our terms. If you don't, its your and your consumers loss.
TataSKY: Sigh. Okay. No choice either.

Yup. It's a shame that these DTH operators have not formed a cartel to get better deals from the content providers. I mean DTH customer base is pretty huge today and is the only reliable source of revenue generation for these paid channels (apart from CAS).

There was a news earlier about DishTV planning some sort of alliance with other operators. No idea what is happening there.

Huge egos. Unless DTH portability (interoperable STBs) is implemented... Things are not going to improve.

sanke1 said:
Well, I have Star Premiere HD and now they are just showing repeat telecasts. I still totally blame Tata Sky/Star for not negotiating the prices with HBO properly.
What else would they show when the shows are on a break?

Manu said:
What else would they show when the shows are on a break?
Will they take a break and stop charging me when they are broadcasting old content?
They are charging us ONLY under a promise that there will always be new content. A failed promise at that.

By that logic, Sports channels should also refund for us for the ads they show on a pro rata basis.

FYI - Information Guys these 2 channels come as a combo pack for Rs. 99 PM....and is available in Semi Annual and Annual mode.....
I am not subscribing to these channels at this point of time....

I guess there needs to be a grand alliance by operators so this kind of pricing is stopped.I subscribed to Star Premier HD for 60 rupees (Videocon D2H) and its been boring to see old repeats which I can watch on Star World HDI guess if people wont subscribe to overpriced channels, that would send a signal

^^^
I agree with you....at some point of time the broadcasters might be forced to reduce the price....

sanke1 said:
Will they take a break and stop charging me when they are broadcasting old content?
They are charging us ONLY under a promise that there will always be new content. A failed promise at that.
Do you ask sports channels to stop charging you when they are showing repeat telecasts of games? Star has 4 channels and not everytime all channels have got live matches. Same with Ten, NEO and others. Same with Normal channels. For whole day they show repeat telecasts and only at night they show fresh content. How about them charging only for 1/4th of the day?
You can't expect Star World Premiere HD to generate content. And anyways those repeats help to those who have just subscribed to this channel or their DTH just signed up the channel.

Navjot Singh said:
Do you ask sports channels to stop charging you when they are showing repeat telecasts of games? Star has 4 channels and not everytime all channels have got live matches. Same with Ten, NEO and others. Same with Normal channels. For whole day they show repeat telecasts and only at night they show fresh content. How about them charging only for 1/4th of the day?
You can't expect Star World Premiere HD to generate content. And anyways those repeats help to those who have just subscribed to this channel or their DTH just signed up the channel.
Read my reply for that again.

I guess the alternative is pay per view 😛 Pay for individual content broadcasts.