DOCOMO's 3G service is a BIG joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
ISP
MetroNet
I just can't understand how DOCOMO managed to obtain 3G license with such pathetic 3G services. Their voice service is quite good, so no complaints about that. But DOCOMO's 3G service is almost non-existent in Karnataka (no idea about other circles).
My first issue is this ridiculous '40-minute auto disconnection' feature. I contacted customer care several times regarding this issue, but they always gave unsatisfactory responses. Finally when I sought customer support through online chat, a representative just copy-pasted the following:-
"We would like to inform you that we always strive to offer high quality services and connectivity to our esteemed subscribers. With an objective to avoid the discomfort to our subscribers due to bill shock at the end of billing tenure or excess balance deduction, the internet/GPRS session is designed to get disconnected after 40 minutes of session. This way we help you to avoid any excessive charges due internet usage abuse and GPRS/Internet session kept live ignorantly."
High quality services and connectivity? What a joke! The inside-secret is the DOCOMO's 3G infrastructure is so damn pathetic, so they have only a small number of connectivity slots available. When all these slots are filled by users, then new users will be unable to connect. Hence they have introduced this 40-minute auto disconnection, so that others users also get a chance to connect. They cleverly say it is to avoid 'bill shock', but everyone knows that it is just a lie. My company reimburses my 3G data costs, and I often need to make video calls exceeding their stupid 40 minute limit. Also, I don't understand this logic of 'bill shock' for people who have subscribed to a data pack.
The second issue is also connected to the first problem I mentioned. Due to DOCOMO's abysmal 3G infrastructure, it takes several attempts (usually 8 to 10 attempts) to connect to the internet at 3G speed. I contacted customer care for several months, but they failed to resolve this issue. Whenever I mention the issue, their common question was "What error message you get?". They don't even have the common sense to know that smartphones don't display any error messages. Only old Java handsets display those error messages. When I telll this to them, they say "how can we help you without knowing the error message?". Then they tell me to change APN settings, reinsert sim card, try the sim in a different handset etc., but nothing works. Finally, they just sent this stupid copy-paste response during online chat:-
"We would like to inform you that regarding the issue of GPRS we at Tata Docomo always strive to introduce products that are in sync with Customer requirements while ensuring that such products provide optimum value against the amounts spent by our esteemed customers. Such products, especially the data/internet usage products are dependent on various factors for accessibility and continuity, some of these factors being in our control and others beyond some factors beyond our control, but which hugely and adversely impact data usage can impact on the network and signal strength and therefore affect connection speeds/ continuity. At peak times when many people are using the network, connection speeds, and quality suffers. Also as with any network based on radio technology, handset quality or local conditions may prevent or interfere with network reception within coverage areas. However we do understand and regret the fact, that you have not had a favorable experience with the said product. For any assistance mail us at listen at tatadocomo .com"
As I mentioned previously, the reason for this is that DOCOMO's limited number of connectivity slots are almost always filled by other users, so I'm unable to connect until a slot becomes free. This is totally ridiculous.
Finally, the biggest problem. After repeated attempts to get my issues resolved with no results, they suggested me to write to the appellate officer(appellate.kk@tatadocomo.com). I did that, and got an automated reply within a few minutes, which said I would get a response within 2 working days. But I haven't got a response even after 5 working days (i excluded Saturday and Sunday). This means that there is probably no appellate officer at all for DOCOMO, and they are just maintaining a dummy appellate email id, just to send automated replies.
I agree that DOCOMO is unable to provide proper service due to its low costs. In such cases, I'm sure it would be more preferential for customers if DOCOMO hikes their prices to provide good service, rather than maintaining low prices but offering incorrigible services. I sincerely hope that Docomo does not win the 3G spectrum bidding in Karnataka during January 2014. As for me, I'll definitely be porting my number to a different operator after my current balance is exhausted.

Dear Sunil,
[SIZE=11pt]Kindly provide us your 10 Digit Tata DOCOMO number, your alternate contact number and email ID so that we can get in touch with you.[/SIZE]
Thanks and Regards,
Customer Care
Tata DOCOMO.

yup.. docomo's internet is crap, u need to keep reloading the webpage for it to finally connect.... if it connects consider urself lucky
there is some IP Adress issue for the whole of Karnataka

Due to the never-ending issues with this stupid DOCOMO, I ported to Vodafone. Unfortunately Vodafone doesn't offer 3G services in Karnataka (which is likely to change after the January 3G spectrum auction), but at least I'm assured of constant 2G connectivity. In DOCOMO, even 2G was as problematic as 3G.

This Tata Docomo should be dragged to court for selling Internet packs to customers even as they dont have slots. They have oversold their netpacks and making customers suffer with no slots avaliable for them. They deserve punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.