Frequent msg. of IP address conflict

• Thread starter Thread starter Hulo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 10,229

Hulo

Regular
Win XP is giving me frequent messeges that my IP is conflicting with that of another system. I guess DHCP is used by BSNL. Why then this message? In any case the connectivity or speed are not getting disrupted.

maybe some idiot has hardcoded IP address in his modem? or maybe some leech is downloading too much freakin data! that you?!

What I could gather from solutions to similar problems posted elsewhere is this-

It's a non-problem. What happens is the IP address's LEASE expired. If the machine is off, the lease expires and some other machine asks for an IP, then it can get the now free IP. When the box that had the IP comes back, a bug in the DHCP code by you-know-who fails to release the old IP and to get a new one. The error message occurs and you get to learn about IP leases.

You can't fix this one, but can release and renew to get a new IP.

So, I guess Microsoft is to blame 😉

I'm on Win XP Pro, I've shutdown and rebooted into a new IP with no problems (not using modem built-in dialing with DHCP) when using WInXP's built-in dialer...I bet it's some idiot (on linux) who has hardcoded his IP or something to try to keep it from changing (running a website or something)... and you are getting his IP assigned to you while he still has it?

Hulo, can you give more details? what do you mean by "frequent"? how often?Do you suspend/sleep/resume/hibernate? Maybe hibernate will have a problem with BSNL's temporary IPs...And what is the exact error msg you get? Can you post a screenshot? What dialer are you using? Which PPPoE dialing software? Or the modem's built-in PPPoE dialer? mt800 or utstarcom?if mt800 have you set your connection to "always on" rather than "start on activity/data"?

Mostly during the evening/night. Its not regular but, say, once every 15 minutes. I keep the computer suspended, when not in use but I disconnect the Broadband connection as well. The message appears as a warning by windows beside the taskbar clock saying "IP Address Conflict with Another System on Network". I'll try to get a screenshot when I get it again. I'm using the PPPoE s/w and dialler provided by BSNL. My modem is UTStarcom. The software is RASPPPOE - PPP over Ethernet Protocol for Windows 95/98/98SE/ME written by Robert SchlabbachLicensed to Banyan Networks, India Version 0.98, October 3rd, 2002. I don't quite remember whether theproblem comes up when I run MIRC or eDonkey etc. Last time it came up when MIRC was running. That does not mean it has some connection with MIRC. But I'd keep an watch the next time.

Originally posted by vishalrao@Apr 17 2005, 10:21 PM
Can you post a screenshot?

Here's the screenshot-

I too feel that it's MS problem and due to error in obtaining and release of IP leases. But another point. Check whether any worm is on ur pc !

There were 2 ro 3 worms and Virus in my PC infecting some files related to JVM for quite a long time. I didn't quite bother to clean them - thought they were of the benign variety B) . Now that I have cleaned those files, let me see if the IP conflict problem goes away.

Hi sanu, I mean santanu,I hope cleaning worms help.But let me give you a tip. Please plz plz don't use the bsnl supplied PPPoE sw and winxp created dialler. They have bugs in them and I think that's why your connection drops due to mismanagement of IP leases.Why not use the modem interface 192.168.1.1 to confugure and run the modem ? It's safe and always on ! I have been using this on my D-Link 502T ADSL Router and have never been disconnected !Also some worms interfere with the winsock while pinging remote IPs when they sent mass mails, download viral code etc. on ur Pc !Cheers,AR. B)

yep, Hulo, try to setup your modem to autodial itself and use DHCP in windows... also if you suspend/resume why not leave the modem on? unless you're worried about heat

Vishalrao .....Have u lost your mind ????/Hulo is correct. The ip lease is the probelem. Only when the system idle does this error occurs.

I am on a UTStarcom UT 300R Modem provided by BSNL for my Broadband connection. I get disconnected often. I shall be asking BSNL to check my line - could be its earthing or something like that.
Even then Id like to know how to not use PPPoe provided by BSNL when I configure my PC - one is on Win 98 and another on XP.
Pls guide me.

Originally posted by agnivo007@Apr 20 2005, 09:12 AM
Hi sanu, I mean santanu,
I hope cleaning worms help.
But let me give you a tip. Please plz plz don't use the bsnl supplied PPPoE sw and winxp created dialler. They have bugs in them and I think that's why your connection drops due to mismanagement of IP leases.
Why not use the modem interface 192.168.1.1 to confugure and run the modem ? It's safe and always on ! I have been using this on my D-Link 502T ADSL Router and have never been disconnected !
Also some worms interfere with the winsock while pinging remote IPs when they sent mass mails, download viral code etc. on ur Pc !

Cheers,
AR.  B)
[snapback]8256[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sir

How does one make a Screenshot of any page or screen like you did so ?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Hulo@Apr 18 2005, 03:05 PM
Here's the screenshot-
[snapback]8166[/snapback]
[/quote]