• Thread starter Thread starter ghpk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 9,255

ghpk

Now Visible in NCR ;)
ISP
Airtel Broadband + 4G and Voda 4G
has anyone seen a dish TV commercial about some channels will not be available from 1st Jan.
it also says contact us for details and at the end shows logos from other operators stating if you wish
to get those channels subscribe to these dth operators.
Can someone shed some light, whats all this about.
I think i watched it on History TV18

It came on paper to switch to other dth. Maybe Dishtv has some issues providing those channels :nonchalance:

http://www.indiantelevision.com/digital/y2k13/dec/decdig41.php
Readers may recollect that leading Indian newspapers today carried a public notice from IndiaCast stating that channels it distributes might be discontinued from Dish TV subscribers’ packages from 1 January and replaced with movies on demand unless customers message or call the DTH operator clearly saying they wanted to continue receiving them. The ads asked them to call up Dish TV or in the alternative subscribe to another cable TV or DTH service. Promos along the same lines have also been running on all the IndiaCast channels.
IndiaCast had issued the ad keeping in mind that DishTV is running an "on-request channel" campaign which will see channels being unsubscribed unless subscribers opt for them. The DTH operator is also rewarding subscribers with points if they choose to unsubscribe from IndiaCast channels which they can use to watch movies.
The channels that are mentioned in the IndiaCast notice include: Colors, CNBC TV 18, MTV, CNN IBN, Bindass, Nick, IBN7, CNBC Awaaz, UTV Movies, History TV, Disney, Hungama, Sonic, Disney XD, UTV Action, Comedy Central, VH1, UTV World Movies, Nick Jr, Disney Junior and IBN Lokmat.
Not sure where everything went wrong when these media groups had good relations in past.
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/dish-tv-not-to-charge-indiacast-utv-channels-carriage-fee_1006152.html
Dish TV had approached TDSAT after IndiaCast UTV declined signals to them as Dish TV had also sought Carriage Fees.
On Tuesday TDSAT disposed-off the case basis Dish TV’s statement that Dish TV is not seeking Carriage Fees while executing the agreement on RIO basis.

IndiaCast UTV IndiaCast UTV Media Distribution is a strategic joint venture between IndiaCast ( TV18 & Viacom 18's multi-platform, global distribution company) and UGBL (a Disney UTV group company) for the aggregation and wholesale distribution business for the TV channels of both the group companies for the territory of India. The 74 (IndiaCast) : 26 (Disney UTV) joint venture became operational from 1st of April, 2013 and now distributes 35 channels from the TV18, Viacom18, Disney UTV & A+E Networks | TV18 to Cable, DTH and HITS platforms across India.

'RIO', also known as 'Reference Interconnect Offer', means the terms and conditions published by a content provider/service provider which are required to be fulfilled by a distribution platform/party desirous of availing the content from such service provider.
So DISH TV had asked carriage fee for INDIACAST group channels.
I remember generally DTH operators charge carriage fee for FTA channels. While DTH operators pay for paid channels, and payment depends upon number of subscribers for that paid channel.
But recently some DTH operators are in opinion of charging carriage fee even for paid channels.

I just sent them an email not to switch off these channels on my VC numbers and got an email confirmation that mine will not be stopped. Apparently they are trying to reduce cost both to consumer and themselves. I think its a pretty smart move and may benefit some consumers eventually when their costs come down and if they pass this benefit on...

If customer is getting benefited by less costs, then its good move. But these channel providers act illogical and greedy by forcing DTH operators to get their all channels even if some of their channels would be less popular and have no demand.

I was shown from December, and now they stopped my Hungama Channel 😕
Update: Called them and activated all cartoon channels 😕