ACT broadband in Chennai

What plan did you apply for and what budget do you have in mind for the router?

I got the 40 Mbps/75 GB plan.. 1099 + tax.. Installed within 3 days of the sales guy visiting me.. Prompt service for the moment at least..Getting 40 mbps up and down.. So no issues there..

Dont have a number in mind.. Please suggest any decent budget router..

I got the 40 Mbps/75 GB plan.. 1099 + tax.. Installed within 3 days of the sales guy visiting me.. Prompt serplSrchor the moment at least..Getting 40 mbps up and down.. So no issues there..

Dont have a number in mind.. Please suggest any decent budget router..

Netgear JNR1010-100INS 4PT N150 Wireless Router - Buy Netgear JNR1010-100INS 4PT N150 Wireless Router Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

You'll easily get 40 Mbps with this router. I have personally verified that this router can deliver up to 55 Mbps in a medium sized apartment if you keep it away from cordless phones. Costs just 700 bucks. It's the Netgear N150.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! What if switch to 60/100 mbps? Will this still deliver only upto 55?
Correct. The best case throughput of this router is 55 Mbps. As you know, it will also depend on distance and interference. The law of diminishing returns applies when it comes to wireless data rates. You'll need a Rs. 4000 router to get 100 Mbps. Rs. 8000 router to get 125 Mbps and probably a Rs. 15000 router to get 150 Mbps. Actual real life data rates will be less than a third of manufacturer specifications at higher speeds.

Correct. The best case throughput of this router is 55 Mbps. As you know, it will also depend on distance and interference. The law of diminishing returns applies when it comes to wireless data rates. You'll need a Rs. 4000 router to get 100 Mbps. Rs. 8000 router to get 125 Mbps and probably a Rs. 15000 router to get 150 Mbps. Actual real life data rates will be less than a third of manufacturer specifications at higher speeds.

Thank you! Final couple of questions:

1) Does the N300 do any better?
2) Is Netgear the way to go? What about TP-Link/D-Link etc?

This was sent to all customers today.

Update for customers using Apple devices
Dear customer,

Recently, in the last 3 months, we have been receiving complaints from some of our customers who are using Apple devices that they have been experiencing higher data usage.
This may be due to some applications which may consume data in the background without the knowledge of the user. In this regard, we would like to suggest to our customers to download applications namely ‘Data Manager’ on your respective IOS devices.
This application may help in providing accurate information about the data usage of your respective device. Based on the results from said application, you may also
please consider escalating this issue to Apple.

We are always committed to bring you fastest speeds with highest download limit

Thank you and looking forward to serve you better.

Regards,
ACT Fibernet

I have been trying to get a new act fibernet connection from last week ! I tried msging them, calling customer care for like 3 times..I tried everything possible ! They says they will contact me back which is not happening . I am from medavakkam . I even called the velachery office and they never ever picks up any calls !

Somebody please give me some real fibernet people's contact number so that I can get a connection. Thankyou !

Try writing to helpdesk.chn@acttv.in with your full address. They are usually very prompt when it comes to new connections. Assuming service is available in your locality. Even if your area is mentioned on their website, it may take a while to come to your particular street.

So the I moved to ACT Giga plan 2 weeks ago (near ECR Link road). 😎😎😉 I'm completely satisfied with the speed. 😍 Torrents are throttled though. Static IP is yet to be assigned 🙁 Link to my Speed test result
--
BSNL 2Mbps->Tikona 4Mbps->Cherrinet 50Mbps->Airtel 40Mbps->Hathway 150Mbps->Cherrinet 200 Mbps->ACT Giga Fibernet 1000Mbps