Bank Debit Cards now require ATM PIN for Retail Counter Transactions

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 6,562
I am facing this issue with credit cards at all outlets - fuel, shopping, hardware shop... if they swipe a chip credit card, it is asking for a pin and I never ever stored pins for credit cards... I'm now stuck to having to use my single non-chip card from citibank wherever i go.
Anyone else seeing this with credit card?

Strange thing happened today. Had gone with mom for buying groceries. Used a Citibank non chip card, still it asked for a pin, with no option to bypass. On a side note, hdfc ATM cards(non debit) work with all ATMs.

I have HDFC bank debit card (non chip) and it started asking to entet PIN at retail outlets etc. I am not very comfortable with entering PIN everytime in front of those stupid guys who dont even have manners to look elsewhere when customers are entering PIN. Got a message from ICICI bank that they are replacing my debit card as per RBI recommendations. They have also changed withdrawal limit on international purchases without my consent.

Applied for an ATM card at hdfc. Told them don't use much and not comfortable at using PIN at POS. Gave me a form to fill and said ATM card will be couriered to address in a week and debit card would get deactivated.
Got my ATM card. Waiting for pin. Limit daily 10k. No logo on card of visa or Mc but looks mc as starts with 5. Will change pin at hdfc ATM and try in another ATM and see later

So changed the PIN & withdrew some cash. Visited another national bank ATM next to my house & was able to see my balance - So I am confident I will be able to withdraw as well. This ATM supports only MC and not Visa and I used to visit an ATM a little further away whenever I wanted to withdraw from HDFC because of this. So getting this ATM card has this additional benefit now 🙂
And I was able to still use my Old Debit card to check my balance. Now, I am thinking if I should call and cancel this card or leave as is. I think if I leave as is they will still charge me Rs.100 per annum.