• Thread starter Thread starter genexed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 4,609

genexed

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 512 combo unlm + TATA 1 Mbps UNLM
The Conditional Access System (CAS) regime is just a week away, and if you live in south Delhi, you are probably rushing to ensure you are not blacked out for want of a set top box (STB) on January 1. Just make sure that in your haste, you are not passed on an STB that is old and does not support all the applications that CAS promises.

Thousands of STBs have been lying stacked in warehouses across Delhi for nearly three years now. Multi-system operators (MSOs) like Home Cable and In Cable bought them in bulk anticipating a massive increase in demand after CAS was notified in 2003.

However, CAS never really set in then, and most of the STBs remained unsold. And out of the 50,000-odd boxes recently installed in Delhi, several thousand are suspected to be of the old stock.

Industry sources say the new STBs have a minimum 8MB RAM; the ones with video-on-demand have double that. But the older boxes have RAMs of up to just 2 MB — enough to view pay channels, but not enough to support video-on-demand or recording programmes.

Cautions Vicky Chaudhary of Home Cable: "Consumers should consider whether the STB will meet all their TV needs. The boxes will be the key for all multi-media requirements." Anil Malhotra of In Cable admitted MSOs were installing old STBs at places, but argued the older boxes were "not that bad".

SOURCE : http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_188...00600010001.htm

^thanks brothat was the first thing i checked when i got my stb installed.though i couldnt locate any thing mentioning the date of manufacture, but i did confirm it from the instruction manual that it has a 8mb memory.and the date of manufacture, frirmware version etc can be found out using the "menu" button on the remote, once the stb is installed.

what's so good about it? I have the same STB and fail to see why it's good.

May be because its not "chinese" lol. My cable wallah is selling set top box for 1100 Bucks ummm.....