• Thread starter Thread starter Nishant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 5,272

Nishant

Staff member
ISP
Jetway FTTH, BSNL FTTH
So, I am upgrading the core components of my existing PC (CPU, Motherboard and RAM to be more specific). I had bought Windows 8 license during the Rs.699 offer, which is an upgrade license I suppose. It got activated without issues when I had once reformatted my current PC and installed it afresh. Now coming to the point, after upgrading these components, the PC would act as new right? Will I face any issues while activation? Has anybody done it?
I would be trying a fresh install using the Windows 8.1 ISO. Would be following the steps done by Sushubh which he had mentioned in another thread, was successful.
Any more info would be appreciated.

Good question. I plan to upgrade my desktop sometime next year so I would keep an eye on this. My last experience with hardware change was not a good one. Microsoft India call center guy called me a thief. Not kidding.
Microsoft could have made it so much simpler by optionally connecting the license to your Microsoft account. Would have saved everyone a lot of hurt.

So I should try the 'activation by phone' method right? I guess I'll try the online method first, if that doesn't work, I'll try the phone method.

Right. Will keep that in mind and will post the update here. BTW, the motherboard got delivered today morning, came from their Bhiwandi warehouse in Thane district, MH. The CPU has been shipped by the third party seller from Chennai while RAM is coming from Delhi.

Since its an upgrade, the theoretical expectation would be to install the "original" OS and do an upgrade. Was the old one an OEM version or you have a license of win7/whatever or it was ahem...

Ah well, it might be tricky then, as MS would claim that once you modified the parts & stuff the OEM license is no longer valid, and hence neither is the upgrade...

I would do this before replacing the parts, then power it off before it boots for the first time, change the parts and then boot :smile:I just want it in a state without any drivers installed.Anyway, I'm going to try a lot of things in a particular order. Would post the outcome here :tongue: