Sify Client For Linux should be like Windows.

• Thread starter Thread starter popcorn
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 4,746

popcorn

ISP
Some company Broadband 50mbps + Jio Airfiber 30mbps
As many users are now shifting to Linux Operating Systems ( as it is free & now comes with many branded computers) , the sify login client should be a graphical and user friendly. Should Sify do something for that? its high time that we are using that 1.3 version which is very difficult for an ordinary person to start and use it or install it. It also does not give any information on the usage etc like the windows version gives.

i think they should make it a service so that there is no need for a login client.

Originally posted by Bhinder@Apr 10 2005, 09:22 PM
they dont have exactly what you would call a client u know.. just a simple shell script
[snapback]7825[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well its not quite a shell script. Its a binary file. The dialer is actually a system of 2 binary programs. One is a service that connects and maintains connection to the server (sifyd). the other is the connection client (sifyconnect).

There is actually a bit of a conflict about the version number. the package name suggests that its 1.3. but then if you untar the package and read the README then you'll see version 1.2 written on it. The app also doesnt have a -v argument to retrieve version number.

Also, the structure of both clients (windows and linux) is quite wierd. There is no connection state maintenance, i.e. if you're connected and the client dies for some reason and we have to start it again, it acts as if you're not connected to the net. the least it could do is query the server to check if you're logged in and get details.

Siddhesh

Nope it's not a simple shell script. The sifyd program which actually makes the connection is a compiled binary file that is a complete program. It is the sifyconnect file which reads the userid and password from the user and writes it to sifyd, which is a shel script.

Also sifyd is already made to be a service since sifyd stands for sify daemon (daemons are supposed to be services). Sifyd automatically gets started on starting up the linux system and it remains in the background. Thus it runs as a service.

Hey sifyfan, I agree a GUI could be made for the Sify client for linux. But in its absence you might like to check out the Sify client available for Macintoshes. It is graphical (rudimentary graphics but atleast they are there 😛 ) and since it is written in Java all it needs to run on a Linux system is JRE (Java Runtime Environment) installed.

You can see whether you have it installed already on your Linux system by running the command
Code:
java --version
or
Code:
java -v

If it's not installed, you can install it by going here.

The MAC client has a nice little GUI but then it doesnt have the advanced features that the windows client provides. i tried using it on my system (Debian GNU/Linux with mozilla symlinked with name 'netscape' to get around the requirement for the command invoked). It connects and disconnects allright. but then account status, transfer details and all that cannot be viewed somehow like in the windows client. Still havent been able to figure out why.Siddhesh

I have Java Installed.
java -version
java version "1.4.2_05"
Java(tm) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_05-b04)
Java HotSpot(tm) Client VM (build 1.4.2_05-b04, mixed mode)

I get the following error. I am loged in as su.
java -jar BroadbandUI.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 windowserver using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:134)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:141)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:62)
at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:231)
at java.awt.Window.(Window.java:275)
at java.awt.Frame.(Frame.java:401)
at java.awt.Frame.(Frame.java:366)
at javax.swing.JFrame.(JFrame.java:154)
at BroadbandUI.LoginWindow.(LoginWindow.java:20)
at BroadbandUI.LaunchDialer.main(LaunchDialer.java:86)

Can you please help me. I am trying to use it in SuSE 9.2 Linux version.

Originally posted by inetbum@Apr 10 2005, 11:43 PM
Nope it's not a simple shell script. The sifyd program which actually makes the connection is a compiled binary file that is a complete program. It is the sifyconnect file which reads the userid and password from the user and writes it to sifyd, which is a shel script.

Also sifyd is already made to be a service since sifyd stands for sify daemon (daemons are supposed to be services). Sifyd automatically gets started on starting up the linux system and it remains in the background. Thus it runs as a service.

Hey sifyfan, I agree a GUI could be made for the Sify client for linux. But in its absence you might like to check out the Sify client available for Macintoshes. It is graphical (rudimentary graphics but atleast they are there  😛 ) and since it is written in Java all it needs to run on a Linux system is JRE (Java Runtime Environment) installed.

You can see whether you have it installed already on your Linux system by running the command
Code:
java --version
or
Code:
java -v

If it's not installed, you can install it by going here.
[snapback]7835[/snapback]

Try running the command java -jar BroadbandUI.jar as a normal user and not as su/root.

OH Man U R SO Smart It WORKED!!!
Thanks!!!

Originally posted by inetbum@Apr 11 2005, 08:12 PM
Try running the command java -jar BroadbandUI.jar as a normal user and not as su/root.
[snapback]7881[/snapback]
[/quote]

just a suggestion. use default colors from next time. we guys can read normal sized black colored content.

Myself, I would prefer a command line client for linux, as not always am I running under X Windows. However, the sify client for linux is awful, it works fine only on Redhat like distro's, and is wierdly troublesome to use.I use the tiny C client by Bhushan Tiwari, which is much better. I just wish a few problems were fixed with it.

Hi buddy...I actually downloaded that sify login client for mac os and tried it on my linux machine (Fedora Core 4) but the moment I invoke it with the command .............java -jar BroadbandUI.jar.......it says ......... NO LAYOUT SET !!!..........and a window popps up having GUI details for login but it does not work....It doesn't let me fill the blanks for userid and password.......it is just a window to see...nothing else....pls tell me..what to do ???

Check if you have the appropriate java runtime installed. Run this command
Code:
java -version
to see what it says. The java runtime should be >=1.4.2