MTNL Mobile: Is Garuda Prepaid Any Good?

• Thread starter Thread starter MrCCK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 11,962

MrCCK

ISP
MTNL and Nivyah
I was considering going in for a Garuda prepaid connection under the new Rs. 1499/- scheme that includes the handset and talktime/SMS worth Rs. 1499/- valid for 6 months and incoming free for 2 years.Is Garuda service generally good with regard to signal strength and call completion?Can the internet connection be used as an emergency backup for email, including sending attachments upto a few hundred KBs?

no, it's pretty crap. Don't know about the internet connection, but the mobile service is very bad... it doesn't get signal anywhere outside Delhi... so if you are in Gurgaon or anywhere in NCR except delhi proper you are out of luck.

I think Op is in mumbai not delhi as garuda prepaid is not yet launched in delhi! Said that Garuda being Wll mobile so it won't work in mumbai suburbs also & roaming services could never be provided however its a nice alternative to wireline homefone which nowadays is a necessary for stable(Adsl) BB connection. 🙂

i have fwp garuda and it works well when and till there is no problems. if any problems occur then there is NO HELP. MTNL guys have no idea of their own product. Their billing records are not reliable. even if you pay they will not show in the next bill. they will keep on carry forward the balance & then disconnect the line. You have to fight fight .. call centers have no idea of any records. the customer service centers say you can discontinue if you want . They tell me that to discontinue ,,,,, u do not pay for some months that the best way to discontinue... this is their way to avoid any kind of work burden...my suggestion is to avoid as its not good service in case of u having only one phone.

I had old reliance Nokia 2280 handset lying at home that could not be used on Reliance GSK or tata RUIMso i went to Indraprastha outside Borivali(W) station and got the Firmware flashed to bmake the Non RUIM into RUIM capable phone.Then Just got a Rs 100 prepaid RUIM card from MTNL Aajevan Plan.Life time prepaid at just Rs100 recharge every 6 months. Plus I get free SMS, coz my balance isn't going down when I send SMSAll in all its great at just total cost of Rs400Rs200 for flashing PhoneRs100 for RUIMand Rs100 recharge coupon

But MTNL Network really sucks in Delhi.But i have to agree that their call charges and some plans r really gr8.Network sucks big time

garuda plans are good and cheap but only problem is it does not support roaming. i wonder if reliance CDMA can support roaming why cant MTNL do the same?

Reliance has all india Licence.MTNL has only Mumbai and delhiBesides limited Mobility CDMA is the reason GARUDA rates are probably the lowest in the worldIf u add mobility and roaming, then roaming partners take a share and that automatically increases the call chargesto higher levels

well roaming partners will take share for roaming not local calls.
and 2nd, doesnt BSNL have its CDMA network? it has:

Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.

so why cant MTNL tie up with BSNL?

well roaming partners will take share for roaming not local calls.
and 2nd, doesnt BSNL have its CDMA network? it has:

Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.

so why cant MTNL tie up with BSNL?

Primarily because the Garuda tagline is "Limited Mobility"
Besides the BSNL CDMA network must be in cities and imp places only,

BSNL's network strength/coverage/service isn't as great as any private operators for GSM and CDMA is definitely worse

What would be the point of roaming on BSNL?
Reliance dosent allow u to roam on Tata Indicom and vice versa so MTNL isn't very different

BSNL GSM network is bad?!! i have noticed so many times while roaming that BSNL network works but Hutch/Airtel doesnt!And why wud BSNL NOT ALLOW MTNL roaming? afterall they are both govt owned.

And why wud BSNL NOT ALLOW MTNL roaming? afterall they are both govt owned.

Probably the same reason why the both dont merge.
I mean If MTNL is only in 2 sities across the whole of india isn't it better to merge BSNL-MTNL and make an even bigger market player

each trade union in both orgs trying to keep them seperate and distinct for selfish resons i think.
Else I would also have 900 bucks a months 256kbps unlimited TRIBAND
in Mumbai 😛

BSNL and MTNL does have GSM roaming tieup. i think it is more because of CDMA numbering. MTNL is giving 8 digit numbers, and reliance moved to 10 digit scheme.(earlier even reliance was giving 8 digit numbers)so it seems to me to be more of technical reason than union politics.

Garuda Delhi has excellent voice quality & coverage. Still better are their plans. Garuda Vidyarthi palnNew Sim cost Rs.300. Validity: 1month : Talktime of Rs.100.Recharge Rs. 222. Validity: 1month : Talktime of Rs.100.50p any local network : MTNL network free. : STD : 1Rs.SMS Local: free National: 50p Int.: 2.50Rs.I think it is difficult to beat such a plan.

i was told that their network if one of the worst on this planet...even i had some bitter experience with their dolphin connection...