Uber India Updates

raj2007

Chennai
Regulars
Feb 27, 2009
Chennai
When i book UBER for someone else(different location) it asks for that person's mobile number in my contact list.
The problem is that most of the important numbers in my contact list doesn't show thru their app.
Is it a problem with the app or with my mobile?
FYI..I have dual SIM

anant.del

Addicts
Regulars
Jan 2, 2010
There ui looks totally different on Moto g play.....And doesn't look that good.

Compared to Nexus 5x and 1st gen Moto g.

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
Jul 3, 2006
Mumbai
Many times I have seen driver calling from what appears to be landline number. Now driver cant have a landline number in his car.

So I was under impression that driver already had a feature to make free calls which gets routed through some method.

Now I wonder how those drivers were able to call via a landline number?

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
that was done a while ago. because of harassment factors. calls were routed through uber. so drivers could not access customer's number. i guess now they are doing it using voip (internet) rather than mobile (cellular network). not sure if this is a good idea considering the quality of internet. it might be good enough for gps. might not be good enough for a clear voice call.

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
Jan 21, 2005
Pune
Same with swiggy, the delivery people call via their app I guess because when I get calls it shows a landline area code and if I try to call back those numbers it does not connect. I'm sure other services use this way of calling too.

ajgamer

Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
VOIP is only going to make the Driver's phone hang. They don't use iPhones. They use all those second-hand or cheap Android Phones which can hardly handle the Uber App with Maps running. (Given that Uber App uses the Maps API too which is too much consuming of data as well).

And, Some of them have their music player and WhatsApp running too.

VOIP is a bad move. I feel like Uber is just not ready to setup the better services in India. They don't have Telephonic Support either.