::2007:: ***** The Year Of Broadband In India*****

patch

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Aug 15, 2006
BSNL will offer broadband at 2 mbps: Maran

Source: IRIS (15 December 2006)
State-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam (BSNL) will offer broadband services with speed of up to 2 megabits a second to all its existing subscribers who were till now getting 256 kilobits per second (kbps) connection, Communication and IT Minister, Dayanidhi Maran said today.

Also, subscribers will not be charged for migrating to the high-speed broadband access nor will they have to change their consumer premise equipment.

Announcing the move, Maran said, `We are christening the year 2007 as the Year of Broadband in India and it is now for the private operators to match it or beat it.`

Speaking at the inaugural session of India Telecom 2006, Maran said fresh investment commitments of about USD 2 billion (about Rs 90 billion) from telecom equipment providers was expected in the next one year for setting up manufacturing units in the country.

He said the entry of Nokia into manufacturing followed by Flextronics, Motorola and a whole lot of others has laid the platform for positioning India as a global hub for telecom manufacturing.

Since May 2004, India has already witnessed investment commitments of over USD 17 billion in IT and telecom.

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
Jan 21, 2005
Pune
ok, i think this is the 4th post on the topic :)lots of enthusiasm

GSV13

Special Member
Regulars
Apr 14, 2006
^^^ like Mtnl unlimited plan hopes busted for mumbaikars :pIt seem they have lost interest in BB :lol:

smartbuddy_82

Regulars
Regulars
Dec 4, 2005
256=2Mbps, cool.....I am on 512Kbps, will I get 4Mbps, wowwwwwwwwww.... :p :p, I am day dreaming!!!!

leomax

FraudBand
Regulars
Oct 26, 2005
He is a politician,saying too much,but giving little (ok,it might be a relief from our current situation,but its till apprx 4 times behind the world)...

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
QUOTE(GSV13 @ Dec 16 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]71055[/snapback]
^^^
like Mtnl unlimited plan hopes busted for mumbaikars :p
It seem they have lost interest in BB :lol:
[/b]

Aata hai aata hai! Har kutte ka din aata hai! :p Hamara bhi din aayega!

smartbuddy_82

Regulars
Regulars
Dec 4, 2005
QUOTE(leomax @ Dec 16 2006, 07:05 PM) [snapback]71058[/snapback]
He is a politician,saying too much,but giving little (ok,it might be a relief from our current situation,but its till apprx 4 times behind the world)...
[/b]

Something is better than nothing yaar, imagine we currently are on 256 (me on 512 :p ) and we will get 2Mbps+.... :)

I still know people who use dial up connections.... :eek:

leomax

FraudBand
Regulars
Oct 26, 2005
I think i was a bit too hard.Yes,2M is much better than 256k.The point is,they are responsible for us to remain still in 'k'.They are the one's who imposed limits on us for a long time and very high tariff which couldnt help penetration among masses.We might get 8M in 2009 or so,while a lot of world already have >8 now.