India's Shame

blr_p

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
May 26, 2005
http://www.guardian.co.uk/india/story/0,,1972788,00.html

India's shame

Mohammad Afzal is due to hang for his part in the 2001 attack on India's parliament building. But was he only a bit player? And is the country trying to bury embarrassing questions about its war on terror? By Arundhati Roy

Can't post the article here as there is a 20k char limit on posts so you will have to use the link above.

blr_p

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
May 26, 2005
Why not ?, if it makes things easier on the reader.i always post the reference anyways.Unless it makes your backups larger ?

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
well with reference its ook i guessbut most sites have a policy and replicating content might not be a part of it... its all about how the original site thinks abt it.

blr_p

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
May 26, 2005
Ref is always included, lol, i would get roasted otherwise.The content part i think depends on whether it is paid for or not, but that url is available to the public for free. It's grey area but i think this should be reasonable.Now that we got that sorted out, i was thinking some ppl from the Delhi region would be more talkative :p..or is it all forgotten about.

vebk

Mr. Advocate
Regulars
Jan 8, 2005
New Delhi
well, not quite following the case, so can't quite comment on that, but I would like to take the opportunity to say that activists are often dumb, and I am yet to hear a good argument against the death penalty. That should start a good argument :)

blr_p

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
May 26, 2005
No, that would be off-topic, but you are welcome to start a thread on it.The issue at stake here isn't whether the death penalty is too harsh but rather, the way in which Afzal was convicted.

vebk

Mr. Advocate
Regulars
Jan 8, 2005
New Delhi
Unless and until we were party to the judicial proceedings, or at least have read the judgment on the case, I think this is a mook point to discuss, especially on this forum.

blr_p

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
May 26, 2005
judgement is he Afzal got a death sentence and his lawyers have petitioned the president for clemency, which is pending.the author of the article above was outlining how quickly it was done. She points to lawyers who studied the case and found many questions. I don't think nor am suggesting there is any conspiracy or anything like that, just the way it was carried out.So if this guy hangs does everyone feel safer ?i found it an interesting article, a different view from the media here.

vebk

Mr. Advocate
Regulars
Jan 8, 2005
New Delhi
Ah, one line summations of 300+ page judgments... not the paragon of human analytical skills. Journalism, unfortunately, increasingly smacks of an alarming lack of such skills e.g. the whole Jethmalani hullabaloo - journalists had no qualms babbling their mouths away on TV but had not even a basic understanding of the rights and duties of a lawyer, which is something that requires a mere reading of the Advocates Act.The people who are making this molehill into such a mountain are politicians, journalists and activists. I don't think an intelligent person today can trust any of them without asking the question: why are they doing this?. And suffice it to say their motives are rarely noble.Also important to note is that clemency is not an acquittal, but a pardon given to a guilty man. The way I see it is that if you want to pardon his guilt on the grounds that "Kashmir will burn" then you pretty much compromise the whole system of capital punishment as rhetoric like that will almost always come into play in terms of any crime against the state that has a political tinge. So it renders our judicial process vulnerable to political manipulation, which is exactly what our Constitution seeks to protect, and it moreover the separation of powers and the independence of the judiciary are basic facets of a just society.IMHO 24/7 News Channels are more a detriment to democracy, than an asset.