Is MTNL really offering FTTH or is it FTTC ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Umakanth
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 9,177
ISP
MTNL
Hello
i live in Thane and had registered somw months ago for FTTH after seeing ad in papers. after several months i git a call from local mtnl exchange that they want to come home to install . what they actually did was to set up a normal tel line from some box outside the building cliaiming this was the FTTh cable and next day they connected a modem (without wifi) ARGT 1000 from Alphion Coporation and left. As i was traveling on the days they came,only my wife was at home and these guys told her that everything is set up and they tested speed and it is 5 mbps. when i returned from my tour, i was surprised to see a normal tel line connected to the modem and the speed was just about 50 kbps !! I lodged a compliant and next day the technician came (again when i was not at home) and did something and left. that day i got a speed of 400 kbps but since then the connection stopped working. the "internet" light on the modem come on. I lodged complaint again and even sopke to the officer in Prabhadevi exchange but no remedy so far. they dont seem to know anything.
question is:
any of you have similar experience ? what was your connection (did they put the ONT in your home) or just a tel line /
what type of modem/router did you get and what speeds are you able to get?
did they give a wifi router or non wifi ?
i did some internet search and could not find anything (not one single hit) about this ARGT-1000 router !
from what i read on internet this type of connection is called Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) - running fibre optic cables from the telephone exchange or distribution point to the street cabinets which then connect to a standard phone line to provide broadband. is mtnl really giving FTTH or only FTTC ?
what type of modem is the correct one ? i believe the normal ADSL modems will not work with FTTH/FTTc and we have to go for VDSL modems - is this true ? if so which are good VDSL modems ?
any feedback/comments appreciated
umakanth

argt 1000 is an ok modem. they issued it to me for vdsl. it is obviously fiber to cabinet since the modem has no way to take in a fiber.
if u want a better modem check out the vdsl thread. sanke1 got one frm ebay.

MTNL is folloing people at many areas my providing VDSL connection instead of Fibre. I found this out when I mysef spoke to the exchange guys as to how to provide the connection. VDSL is nothing but a LAN extender technology wherein the Fibre is only upto the exchange and post that they provide connectivity through traditional telephone cables and convert it into Ethernet using the ONT. They keep saying that they have limitation upto 1 Km from exchange.

Thts just VDSL..... they hav a tariff page for VDSL...... they will not charge FTTH prices on VDSL connection..... now tht I think abt it.... the tariff is mostly similar....
FTTH seems to be dead now..... they dont seem to hav money to expand the n/w..... I always get one answer..... "There r no Ports left on FTTH".......

Infact they just publicised the FTTH service for namesake with Fibre hardly laid in many places.

I am fine even with VDSL, I had asked them to give me FTTH plans on VDSL and my line is capable of getting 50+ Mbps on VDSL. But they refused.