User Review: Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ 16GB

• Thread starter Thread starter Nishant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 3,579
Seeing the news of price drop of Nook HD and Nook HD+ on IBF I immediately decided to get one for me, as my existing cheapo tablet had started showing signs of ageing (low battery backup, unmanageable lag everywhere). So, I contacted a friend in US and he ordered a 9” HD+ 16GB for me, and seeing the price drop he got a 7” HD version for himself. The net price for me was US$158 which includes shipping and taxes, turned out to be around 9k. It was delivered to my friend on 21st June. But it was going to be a longer wait to reach me as his parents would be arriving here on September. And finally it reached Mumbai on 11th September and I collected it from them today. As soon as I connected it to Wi-Fi it downloaded and installed a software update (v2.1.1), which was a massive 414MB update.
Pros:
• The tablet feels good to hold due to its rubberized back and matt finish bezel.
• The 9” display is really awesome, almost close to the retina display of iPad 3. This is the main reason I got this tablet.
• 16GB on-board memory out of which 15.1GB is user accessible, with MicroSD slot which supports up to 64GB.
Google Play access, which was added recently via a software update.
• Casual games run fine without any frameskips. Have not tried any high end games yet.
• Wi-Fi signal quality is pretty good.
• 6000mah battery.
• Official Cyanogenmod support, active development at XDA :biggrin:
Cons:
• The tablet is a bit on the heavier side (most probably due to the 6000mah battery).
• Noticed very slight lags while navigating UI, negligible though.
• Highly skinned Android 4.0 OS.
• No option to sideload apk files (a patch is available which enables it).
• Proprietary data connector (looks a lot like the older iPhone/iPod data connector).
• No camera (at least a front camera for Skype/Google Hangouts would have been nicer).
Overall I am pretty impressed with this tablet, especially the display. Perfect for my requirements. Please feel free to ask any questions or anything you want me to try out on this tablet.

Awesome review 🙂 and great deal 🙂

Out of curiosity, tried out a 4.1.2 version of Cyanogenmod which is a SDCard based one. The device boots from the MicroSD card which keeps the stock ROM and the data intact. Only played it for 10 minutes though.

Hi nishant,
i too had a nook hd+. amazing device....the thing is that by now i assume you must've installed and tinkered with a lot of custom roms. If not!!!! then please do so... i would recommend liquid smooth or slimbean. fastest and the least laggy roms for hd+ (ovation). find them in xda forum if you've not done that already.
the thing that i liked about nook hd+ is its processor (ti-omap 4), it manages to run even the latest, biggest and the baddest games ever available on play store. mc4, asphalt 8, nova 3, dead space, gta 3....you name it and the nook will run it without stuttering. and the display quality being much much better then retina ipad is a huge plus!!!!
hope you are enjoying with the little genius : Ovation | Nook HD+.

Yup, it's an impressive device with an awesome display. I'm running CM11 and flash Nightlies once a week after going through the changelogs. I'm yet to try slimrom and liquidsmooth as CM works out fine for me. And today PAC ROM has released first official nightly for HD and HD+. The dev support for this device is increasing.