Is screen protector required?

gopichandpai

Regular
ISP
Airtel
These days we see many phones with scratch resistance gorilla glasses. Latest being Gorilla Glass 3.
Do we really need screen protector for phones with scratch resistant glasses if you are going to keep your phone in the pocket away from coins and keys?

if phone is new u will probably end up using it to save from scratches and all 😛 but as it gets old one ends up removing as display looks way better without it !

Whatever Corning name it, glass is glass and it can be scratched. The only advantage of Gorilla Glass is it's high scratch resistance. Also, they never advertise it as 'Scratch Proof' but 'Scratch Resistant'. The biggest enemy of glasses are sand. Even Gorilla Glass can be scratched by sand particles.

I have removed it from our 2 iPhones and 2 ipads. Removed about 6 months back, so far no scratch. One just needs to ensure you dont keep it in a pocket with keys or sand or anything abrasive. Normal usage will not cause it to scratch, even if kids have finger nails etc...

My HTC One X got a chip during extremely careful usage while I was waiting for the screen protector to arrive. Gorilla Glass do not protect against chipping and it would eventually get scratched. 😀
If you are finicky like me, you would get a screen protector before you get your hands on the phone itself 😀

I have never taken risk of using phones without screenguards/cases even after my delicate handling.

Hell I even see micro scratches on the screen guard . wonder what would happen to the screen without a guard

i m using a xperia zl without screen protector. never had a scratch yet.

the problem is not the cost. most people do not like films on their phones as it changes the response and quality of the touchscreen display.

chromaniac said:
ZL is supposed to be a rugged phone right?
ZL is the same as Z . except the back panel is not made of glass. its texured plastic. everything esle from the screen to proc is same.
gsm arena specs say the glass is shatter proof and scratch resistant. nto sure if it is corning or gorilla or wat !

i thought zl was not waterproof water resistant like z?
hmm. z is supposed to be water and dust proof. zl is not.

the problem is not the cost. most people do not like films on their phones as it changes the response and quality of the touchscreen display.
Exactly. I used to HV screen protector on torch 2 and when I took it off I felt much better response from touchscreen. That's why haven't applied any on Nexus 4 and just been very careful with it.Also I dont understand how people get their phones screen scratched by sand. I mean where do they get sand from.