• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 3,514

raddy

Regular
ISP
Reliance JioFiber
Hello Everybody
I always have an opinion that we should not invest considerable money in Google Android based mobile phones if it is not the top end mobile phone.
Buying Google Nexus based mobile phones would protect our investment for some period of time.
As daily new mobile phones from Indian Companies or foreign companies are being released.
So, i always would keep an eye on India based Android brands.
As I have seen many mid-range android mobile phones from prominent brands too sucks.
But, people around me would always advise me to resist Android mobile phones developed or sold by Indian companies.
Previously, india based android mobile phones would small battery to easily deem it as inferior.
But nowadays only differentiation for India based android mobile phones are the processor being used, which is always would be based on MTK.
Are all in-expensive android mobile phones sold by Indian Companies are that much inferior or short-lived ?
Are all mobile phones sold by Indian companies are Chinese re-branded models ?
I invite members who use Android mobile phones sold by Indian companies to give their insights,

Good thread. I would also like to know user experience and pros/cons about Indian brands like Micromax, Spice, Xolo (Lava), Karbon in terms of Android mobile when compared to brands like Samsung/HTC/LG.

the support is good and the updates are available.
custom roms
proper Snapdragon processors implies smooth ui n multitasking esp with high end 2gb ram phones.
better cam quality.

kickass said:
the support is good and the updates are available.
custom roms
proper Snapdragon processors implies smooth ui n multitasking esp with high end 2gb ram phones.
better cam quality.
Which Indian brand?

Updates are being available for Branded mobile phones are very much subjective.
Even Micromax is providing updates to it's mobile phones and Micromax A116 was the first mobile phone after Samsung Galaxy S4 to run Android 4.2 Jellybean.

But what about after Sales service? I have seen so many Nokia/Samsung Service centres in my area, but hardly seen/heard about service centres for Micromax/Spice/Karbon.
Myself, and many others get worried about how to get mobile repaired or replace any part (like screen or battery cover) if broken for Indian brand mobiles who's Service Centres are hard to find.

I don't give a damn about software updates. It's just a gimmickbusiness to make the enduser to buy the better hardware. If you see the next version of andriod means it will obviously lag in your current phone. So coz it will have more shiny UI and other improved bloated apps that requires more processor power & ram. So don't always whine about your phone didn't get next version of andriod. I find GB is more than enough to the current appsgames in the mkt. As all the current phones are loaded with ICS. It 'll run most apps & games for the nxt 1 yr atleast.Moreover. If ubuntu edge gets attention for the hardware spec. The andriod mkt share would go down for sure.

So, lack of service centres for Indian mobile phone is the major factor in resisting it right ?Otherwise there is no major differentiator between the brands eh ?

raddy said:
So, lack of service centres for Indian mobile phone is the major factor in resisting it right ?Otherwise there is no major differentiator between the brands eh ?
These Indian brands have good presence at least in Bangalore / Karnataka. Micromax for instance has 2 service center's, i bought 2 x Micromax A110 phones (one for my dad & another for my sister) some time last November & they are still working fine, i had even tried some custom rom & the phone's are now running on JB (were shipped with ICS). One of my friend however had to visit MMX service center for a screen issue (one dead pixel) with A90s & had to wait for nearly 14-15 days after giving the phone for service because of part availability but at the end they did replace the screen & it is working fine now, my friend however was pissed because of the delays & demanded a replacement / upgrade in phone during this process but MMX Support Personnel simply turned down these demands & requested him to wait for some more time.
Having said this - i know for a fact that Nokia & Sony service in Bangalore were one of the worse, at least when i experienced them some 3-4 years ago & have heard some really bad experiences of Samsung's users as well - apparently Samsung customer service is rated the worse overall by most of my friends & colleagues.
LG on the other hand are known for their superior Customer Service & have heard for some really amazing service experience's of HTC users too - they upgraded my colleagues phone from HTC One X to One X + because the replacement also turned out to be fault ! ... have a HTC One X myself which recently ran out of warranty but i never had to contact them
P.S: These are probably not the actual facts but a mere portray of my own friends & family suggestions

BOTTOM LINE : I don't see a reason to avoid Indian Manufacturer's if their offerings meet my requirement - both in Price & Performance
Micromax Service Center's in India: http://www.micromaxinfo.com/support.aspx

Biggest plus point of brands is the quality.
I am using mobiles since 2002, I have never visited a service centre. Never had any issues at all
In terms of service, Samsung light score the most along with Nokia as there are many service centres available all across the cities.
For example, a friend bought an HTC phone and found an issue after a month. The problem was HTC has just two service centres in Bangalore with worse timings. Finally his mother had to go on behalf of him.
Another friend got a HTC phone from USA, which doesnt work, later on came to know that it was a battery issue. Had posted a thread here It took the service centre a month to get the battery for him.
Personally, I will shell out extra money for an electronic device for quality rather than struggle maintaining it and running around service centres.

These Indian brands have good presence at least in Bangalore / Karnataka. Micromax for instance has 2 service center's, i bought 2 x Micromax A110 phones (one for my dad & another for my sister) some time last November & they are still working fine, i had even tried some custom rom & the phone's are now running on JB (were shipped with ICS). One of my friend however had to visit MMX service center for a screen issue (one dead pixel) with A90s & had to wait for nearly 14-15 days after giving the phone for service because of part availability but at the end they did replace the screen & it is working fine now, my friend however was pissed because of the delays & demanded a replacement / upgrade in phone during this process but MMX Support Personnel simply turned down these demands & requested him to wait for some more time.

Having said this - i know for a fact that Nokia & Sony service in Bangalore were one of the worse, at least when i experienced them some 3-4 years ago & have heard some really bad experiences of Samsung's users as well - apparently Samsung customer service is rated the worse overall by most of my friends & colleagues.

LG on the other hand are known for their superior Customer Service & have heard for some really amazing service experience's of HTC users too - they upgraded my colleagues phone from HTC One X to One X + because the replacement also turned out to be fault ! ... have a HTC One X myself which recently ran out of warranty but i never had to contact them

P.S: These are probably not the actual facts but a mere portray of my own friends & family suggestions

BOTTOM LINE : I don't see a reason to avoid Indian Manufacturer's if their offerings meet my requirement - both in Price & Performance

Micromax Service Center's in India: http://www.micromaxinfo.com/support.aspx
Thanks for your very useful and very relevant post.
I can understand that reliability is important for an electronic device.
But IMHO I won't expect an inexpensive but feature rich mobile phone to work perfectly for 3-4 years.

Many of my friends and relatives encountered lot of issues in Samsung android mobile phones too that too within a year. Some of the software issues they faced couldn't be resolved by the company at all.

There is no guarantee that a feature rich mobile you buy today for 25+I would work perfectly after one year. But if an inexpensive but feature rich Indian android mobile phone which one purchase for 12+K not works perfectly after one year. Then it is ok IMHO.

Because the feature rich branded mobile phone you buy for 25k would be selling for 21k (new piece) within 6+ months and would no longer be king of that price segment.

But when it comes to Indian mobile phones the price drop may not be significant after 6 months and it too may not be king of the that price segment , but who cares?

So IMHO buying an expensive non top of the line branded android mobile phone is bad idea.

Only difference between midrange branded mobile phones and Indian branded mobile is prestige.