MTNL Broadband VDSL2 User Experiences

• Thread starter Thread starter sanke1
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 343
  • Views Views 64,183
ISP
MTNL
I wanted to start a new experience thread simply to discuss MTNL VDSL.

Some things to consider before/after taking a new VDSL connection
SNR margins (SNRM)
Below 9 dB : Poor experience with lots of HEC and CRC errors. Line will disconnect frequently.
9 - 11 dB : Ok but not ideal. Disconnections will be there if some unexpected variance is introduced by rains, humidity in the wire.
12 - 16 dB : Ideal and realistic value. Expect almost no disconnections as the line has more wiggle room for tolerating variances.
17 dB and up : God Mode. Lucky few get this on VDSL synced at 30 mbps and up. So far I have seen various stats and no one has reported this SNRM (That is because VDSL sync rates are always higher)
Higher you sync rate, lower the SNRM will be. Lower the SNRM, lower the connection reliability. Lower reliability means frequent disconnections. Hence ISP's have a setting in DSLAM to artificially increase SNRM value for a particular phone line. Hence you sync at lower rate and line automagically becomes stable.
Attenuation may not be that important after all. It reduces sync speeds over a distance but is not an indicator of connection reliability. (You can roughly calculate your line length from it. Do it here)
Apply for VDSL connection only if you are within half km. Otherwise you will get ADSL like sync rates.
I will update this entry with some of our findings. Since VDSL is somewhat new to India, this thread can help some early adopters.
Currently the speeds are decent for fast servers. But single streams are slow due to a bottleneck somewhere.

Hey, I live in Thane and I asked the MTNL folks to provide me VDSL 10 Mbps connection last week, they came back saying we can offer only 8 Mbps on ADSL...
The MTNL exchange is less than a quarter km away from my home and still they were like VDSL abhi nahi milega... What crap is going on with MTNL ???
Do you have any idea of MTNL being selective in offering VDSL ?

Finally freakety freak

Vodafone Mumbai pings:

Code:
PS C:Windowssystem32> tracert 182.19.95.36Tracing route to speedtestdemo.vodafone.ind.in [182.19.95.36]over a maximum of 30 hops:  1

dude...i m gettin ard 9.3 to vodafone and 8.89 to joister. but my ping ot vodafone is 27ms. i knw u are closer to the exchange but i m not sure if the ping is justified. my adsl line has a ping of 21ms to vodafone. my snr on vdsl has improved to 60 since yday. i m not sure if the rains have been affecting the line. will have to see how it holds in the rains. i can now stream utube n any streaming site in full HD 😀
need to see my uptime now.

nopes. fyi i am using the mtnl dns 59.185.3.10. try it. it is surprisingly more stable than 8.8.4.4

DSL Noise Margin = Signal to Noise Ratio = SNR
@kickass
Btw I still get random timeouts despite of using MTNL DNS servers. I have also installed VDSL splitter which I imported from UK. My SNR is 15.6 dB downstream and 10 dB upstream. Since last two days, I get random resyncs after 2-3 hrs. Then the connection holds for 10 hrs.
It's the timeouts that's a concern.
Is my modem faulty?

@sankel
so which is better? ur SNR or my SNR? I mean those values should be lower or higher?

@ sanke. what i have done is connect the modem directly to the line. I mean the mtnl line that enters my home goes straight into the modem. no splittter. my snr margin is 5.3 !! at my end my speed issues crop when it fall below 5. my line hodls steady for 10hrs every time. as for the random timeouts if u are using in bridge mode which i think you are from your traceroutes then set the mtu at 1454 instead of auto or 1492. the reason being this a layer on top of ptm and as such the total header length shuould be 1500-1454(my knowledge is a bit rusty) . Give it a try.