BitTorrent Legality Question

• Thread starter Thread starter josh007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 59
  • Views Views 23,473

josh007

hi guys..all of us hav been really d/loading cool stuff thru this 😀 😀 😀 . But what i am concerbned is the legality?. Bittorrent protocol technology(p2p) is not illegal.BUt what we download is illegal. we all know tht. U might know that 1 guy from hong kong was arrested and tried for seeding and creating torrents which he posted.what about that? is that possible in india? i wud like ur views on this? does anyone know about any case etc which occured in India coz of this? or any case where the ISP concerned did something? i use BSNL . any comments about that?? 🙁

Depends on what u are downloading. Downloading linux torrents is very legal. Nothing will happen to u, unless the cyber crime department starts to crack down on ppl like u.

QUOTE(josh007 @ Nov 23 2006, 08:29 AM) [snapback]69470[/snapback]
But what i am concerbned is the legality?. U might know that 1 guy from hong kong was arrested and tried for seeding and creating torrents which he posted.what about that? is that possible in india?
[/b]
Are you asking for a safeh way to download torrents ?..then you need to operate in a manner where your IP adddr is not publicly viewable as with most P2P & torrent apps. How you accomplish this is best left as an exercise to the reader 😉

..as long as broadband speeds stay below 256kbs and are not as affordable & widespread, then i think there might not be enough ppl to catch that would justify the effort. Especially when broadband penentration in india is in the low 1 digit percentile, ISPs would not be willing to lose out here, has always been the unspoken practice everywhere. This may change in the following years.

So long as you are not committing serious crimes, they leave you alone.

there is always a first time for everything. just because nothing has not happened till now does not mean it cant or wont happen. you know the risk of doing what you are doing.

but do we as downloaders stand to any risk...i mean I dont create torrents, niether do i seed.....moreover my ip is a dynamic one...since its BSNL..so what do u say , that can people like me come under any risk or something????

so you download pirated stuff from torrents and yet u do not even have the courtesy of seeding the same stuff to other people?how low can people get?

YES it is illegal and no one has been convicted for such a crime yet. That is why I am afraid of torrents sometimes. But hey, yes, I have downloaded from torrents too...I don't think no such legal measures have been taken in India before, so till then keep enjoyin'

There is no cyber law , so not much of a risk, but just because u have dynamic IP doesn't mean , they cant catch u :wink:

There is no cyber law , so not much of a risk, but just because u have dynamic IP doesn't mean , they cant catch u :wink: [/b]

Actually, their are plenty of cyber laws, just not the will to enforce them.. and considering the number of cases pending in india, i don't think that is a bad thing 😛 catch the murderers and the rapists and let us download in peace.. 😛 and btw having a dynamic ip while downloading torrents does pretty much ensure that you can't be caught.. stop spreading FUD.. tracking down a dynamic ip for downloading torrents and that too in india? i would say a pretty long shot 😉

yup, years to go before anybody gets caught downloading copyrighted stuff from torrents. Even internationally i can recall one case where a guy was arrested over the torrent issue..that also in Hong Kong which is a microcosm with strict implementation of laws.. in short not much of a problem here in India

my hardware supplier in gurgaon actually was caught red handed installing a pirated version of xp on a client's PC.he was told either to pay up a fine or get sued. now think abt that. if they are on to you. they will get you someday or the other.

:lol: wat wud life be without torrents 😀 Wen i had the downloading bug onto me...I had totally gone berserrk...Poor pc never got to sleep... 😛

thanks for the info regarding ur hardware vendor gettin caught..hey can u explain more on this..i mean can u tell us what at all happened..what was the charge and what he had to do??...what kind of client was that??>..was he a simple home user or some some foreign business man client etc etc.....how was the information gfiven to the police ....it wud be helpfull in the discussion.aprat from that i wish to say that there are differeneces between us downloaders and the case of gurgaon and hong kong. Coz in both the cases the person involved was in some way trying to distribute something. whereas we jus download and see...thats it....in those cases there is an intentional distribution of pirated stuff ...here we are the recievers....so does the same jurisdiction apply on us..i don think so....

this thread is going no where. people know what they are doing is illegal yet they are not ready to accept the fact that they might get caught for doing it. funny. and insane. at the same time.