• Thread starter Thread starter genexed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 3,317

genexed

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 512 combo unlm + TATA 1 Mbps UNLM
I just got MTNL Broadband and ran the speed test, I'm getting download speed of 200-240 kilobits/sec and upload speed of 50-70 kilobits/sec. WTF. 50 - 70 is very less and I always thougt its suppose to be around 200 atleast. Router was pre configured with following settings:ATM Interface: PVC-0VPI: 0VCI: 32Virtual Circuit: Enabled Wan setting : PPPoE/PPPoA Connection Type : PPPoE LLC MRU : 1492Authentication PAP Obtain DNS Automatically EnabledDisabled Default Route: EnabledDisabled NAT EnabledDisabled IGMP: EnabledDisabled Traffic Index : 0Is there anything I can change to make it work faster/better? and what speeds you all get.

In speed test upload speed will always show 60 to 128 kbps depending on time of the day becoz of upload traffic i think as upload are free however if you use upload in p2p then avg upload speed is always about 200 kbps.

I always thought you worry about downoad speed and not upload speeds when it comes to p2p unless you r sharing something with ur friend. I mean who cares how much they get from you? 64 upload is less, I need atleast 150 as I send email to my clients with attachments and that will take thrice the time now, is there really nething I can experiement with in router setting? Would definately contact call center if it doesnt increases.and what about bridge mode?

I usually get 200 - 220 kbps upload speed with MTNL on P2P and SMTP. Try sharing something popular on some P2P network, you should get nearly the same speed.

I would first check SNR margin and Line Attenuation values (these indicat the quality of the line) and also that the cables are tight and not broken whenever diagnosing low speed issues. I get 227 kbps upload consistently and I am very sure I used to get 256 upload for the first few weeks after getting the connection. But then I am only around 300 metres away from the exchange.

genexed, which site did you test. check it out in real life apps. dont trust these sites. it shows my connection as a 210Kbps Down and 200Kbps up while in reality with torrents I usually get 210-220Kbps Down and 230-240Kbps Up. I know I might be one of the lucky ones but I am more concerned with my down speed than up! 🙁

I dont use torrents much so i want good upload speed while browsing, sending emails, its no use for me if i can get 256 in torrents and 64 while browsing, I'll upload a 10mb file through gmail and check how much time it takes.

@ Max I checked it from https://www.speedtest.net/ and 1 more (dont remember went through google),

@ inetbum here you go, tell me if they r good enough and btw I am only 80 meters away from the local exchange

http://imageshack.us

My settings are a little different.
I dont get wonderful speeds but yes they are around 20-22 KBps (u/l)
Since I dont have the slightest of idea about these values, can someone tell me if I need some changes.
And genexed what modem are u using? what firmware version?

You have much better SNR VALUE LINE ATTEN. and LOCAL REMOTE TX POWER and look at CRC ERRORS for upstream, mine 48 compared to yours 0, for how long ur router was on when u took that screenshot? I think this is where my problem is lying ie too many crc errros and low snr. line attn values. Inetbum might be able to tell us more about these values.Anyway I've rented router from MTNL Model is UT-300R2U and firmware is R100B02.7AS.Dand by the way these r NOT settings which we set, its just the measure of noise, signal and other parameters. As far as I know more the SNR and Line Attenuation better it is.

Mere liye to yeh sab kala akshar bhains barabar hai.All I know is hearsay as I am not even remotely related to tall this.

Guess what, another twist. My phone lines(2) were connected before the adsl splitter, I removed both phone lines and re did the joint(which had gone bad, rusty). Then i checked the SNR and got this valuesSNR Margin......down : 19.0db ..........up : 12.0db dB Line Attenuation down : 17.0db ..........up:31.5db dB Earlier it wasSNR Margin......down : 29.5db ..........up : 16.0db dB Line Attenuation down :6.5db ..........up:3.5db dB Wow it was suppose to go other way round isntit?, that joint was really bad and old, I cannot believe what has happened.I'm only 90 meteres away from the exchange.

If you have old wire from the street box then i would recommend you to change that also.Also put both your phone line after splitter it would improve more.

QUOTE(gavnitsingh @ Nov 22 2006, 10:27 AM) [snapback]69394[/snapback]
If you have old wire from the street box then i would recommend you to change that also.

Also put both your phone line after splitter it would improve more.
[/b]

I got the lineman to change the whole wire from pole to my house. Now im getting :

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 42.0db 20.0db dB
Line Attenuation 4.0db 1.0db dB

Sounds good eh? but my uploads are still stuck between 70-90 kbs. However downloads are very consistent with 245-247 http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/6497/untitledrl6.jpg

try uploading to some good server and see what bandwidth you get. wait for a while for the connection to stabilize. that test lasts for only a few seconds which is insufficient for the connection to stabilize.