Want to install Vonage(VOIP) in Delhi

• Thread starter Thread starter ashinusa
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 23,649

ashinusa

ISP
airtel
Hi All,I am in the US and will be visiting India in a week. I plan to install Vonage at my parents house in Delhi. They are in the Janak Puri area. They have Sify in that area for sure and might have Airtel as well. My first preference from reading the forums is Airtel if it is available there. In case I go with Airtel is there an option to buy one's own modem rather than rent theirs? I will be bringing my own wireless router. Also how reliable are the speeds they advertise. I would need a minimum of 60kbps upstream bandwidth.In case they don't have Airtel available my only option would be Sify. The biggest problem I see with that is that one has to login to Sify and that would present me with problems as I will be using a router to share the connection between the PC and the VOIP instrument.Does anyone have prior experience with this? The biggest problem I see is that none of them advertises upload speeds, so no idea what those would be.Thanks a bunch

Go with Airtel.... I have the Home 128 package, and get about 192kbps upstream... (so you can probably go for cheaper packages depending on your paretns' needs). You can use your own modem I believe, but expect Airtel to blame any problem that you might have in the future on your modem, and try to hustle you to rent/buy their modem.It should work.... though I have no experience with VOIP... so maybe someone else can contribute towards that.....From all the awful stories and bad reviews on Sify, I would suggest that you stay away from it.

hi,I finally tested Vonage with Airtel today. And it worked great. Called a couple of friends in US and they couldn't tell I was calling from VOIP in India. Call quality was excellent. I also had a friend call me to try incoming calls and that worked as well. I have the home 128 plan with Airtel and requested an ethernet modem. The modem they supplied was Yozan Web Distributor II. It took them 10 days to install even though they promised they would install in 3 days. One more issue was that the modem locks out vonage.com, Yahoo mail, Hotmail etc by default. I had to call them to have them walk me through the modem config to enable these.I am using a Netgear Wireless G router.BTW, I tried a lot but couldn't get Vonage to work with Sify. Basically I couldn't get the router to work with Sify.Hope this helps. I will try to post more info about the Yozan modem if anyone is interested.

Hi Ashinusa, Cool that's a good news.....well at last someone did succeed. Ok one more question about the voltage issue did u use any convertor for the adapter?Which broadband adapter u r using? Also last but the least do you think this is legal if we have to use it regularly according to the Indian laws....?Thankskbjkbj1

Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy visiting relatives here and I don't have a dial-up connection to move around with.The adapter I am using for the VOIP is the Linksys Vonage adapter with the router built in. But I am using it behind the Netgear wireless router and am not using its routing capabilites. The voice quality is just great. Feels the same as when I use the same adapter on my 3 Mbps connection in the US. Believe me, even a regular phone line doesn't give this much clarity. I have the Vonage settings at highest quality(90 kbps). I am using an adapter which gives me 220 V AC--> 5 V DC. I have no idea about the legality of this setup. But I am not using it commercially so I feel it should be ok. I have seen places which let you place VOIP calls for a charge. My network setup is the Yozan modem -- Netgear wireless-G router -- Linksys Vonage device. I also bought a Sipura adapter before coming here. I might give it a shot with Broadvoice service as it is slightly cheaper and also gives free calling to UK and Australia. I will update the post once I have done that.

Hello Ashinusa,You had said that you are using an adapter which gives me 220 V AC--> 5 V DC. Did u buy this locally in Delhi, does it have some kind of brand name. Can you give me more details about it.Thankskbjkbj1

Hi , I am from hyderabad, and using vonage , i have taken BSNL broadband connection, and vonage is working very good, and they sended Linksys broadband router, so it is working as a router also, the quality is very good.chandrat

Hello Chandrat,You are saying they sent Linksys Broadband router what do you mean by that? Did you get it here in USA and then took to India or did u get it directly in India? Please clarify....kbjkbj1

Originally posted by kbjkbj1@Apr 27 2005, 12:35 PM
Hello Chandrat,

You are saying they sent Linksys Broadband router what do you mean by that? Did you get it here in USA and then took to India or did u get it directly in India? Please clarify....

kbjkbj1
[snapback]8519[/snapback]
[/quote]

Vonage provides it's own adapter. You can choose from a couple of models - a wired router with VOIP ports, a wireless router with VOIP ports or a standalone adapter with just VOIP ports. You cannot get any of these in India. You buy it from a B&M or online retailer like buy.com in the U.S., activate it with Vonage and can then use it anywhere in the world where you have broadband access.

You just connect your ADSL modem to the WAN ports of the first two and you're in business. For the last one, you need to supply your own router.

Given the heightened interest in VOIP, I wonder how long it will be before Airtel cuts off access to U.S. VOIP providers.

Hi KBJKBJ1,

My friend who is in usa, got vonage connection for himself, when he came to india,he bought one more for me, right now i am using this vonage with BSNL broadband connection and it is working good.

Originally posted by kbjkbj1@Apr 27 2005, 12:35 PM
Hello Chandrat,

You are saying they sent Linksys Broadband router what do you mean by that? Did you get it here in USA and then took to India or did u get it directly in India? Please clarify....

kbjkbj1
[snapback]8519[/snapback]
[/quote]