64k unlimited plan discontinued

• Thread starter Thread starter meaculpa
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 8,839
Status
Not open for further replies.
i will post my email conversation with tataBB customer care..

Looking for that...

all plans of MTNL are 2 mbps.. so it is indeed fast browsing.

and unlimited? if u r not heavy downloader than why do u need unlimited?

2 mbps speed is an overkill for browsing. - I would be happy with 256-512 kbps. I'm looking for a 'true' (full day UL )Plan because that would truly let me work from home, even in office hours. For that I need to be on the Net throughout the day without worrying about download limits. And I would use 3-5 GB per month.

A limited plan would only give me 1 GB/ 1.25 GB free and I would have to pay for the extra at 0.8/Re.1 per MB. That's why an UL Low bandwith/ low cost plan makes more sense for me. I repeat, for people like me, MTNL type plans are not paisa vasool. I am happy to pay upto Rs.900 p.m for UL 256 kpbs. But only Tata offers this option, everything else is going above Rs 1000.

And I'm not saying Tata is the dream solution, they are my biggest headache! But I wish MTNL would cater to people like me too!

first of all MTNL cant provide 64/128k as MTNL provides broadband and by defn broadband is > 256k.

256k UL on tataBB anyway costs more than MTNL 849 NU (+u have to pay 3 month advance).

infact i am sure 3 to 5GB on tataindicom means ur actual usage just might be 2.5 to 4GB.(as tataBB counts uploads too and MTNL doesnt)

may be u can cleverly schedule ur downloads plus blocking ads, google ads etc can save ur bandwidth by 30-40%. for blocking ads u can use firefox add on called adblock plus. or u can use proxy or if nothing then u can use OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster DNS which wud allow blocking lots of sites too.

hey meaculpa,I work from Home quite often. With MTNL, it was quite comfortable. I have two monitors at office that run at 1280*1024 and I used VOIP to dial into my office deskphone. Data transfer never crossed 1 GB limit that was available with DSL NU plan of MTNL.

VOIP to dial to deskphone? wudnt that cost a lot? and plus how did u do that?

Thats common for most MNCs. Once you login to VPN your desk phone gets routed to the PC. So for your colleagues you are effectively in the office.Most telephone systems (Avaya,Cisco,Siemens...) are VOIP these days and this is an "off the shelf" feature.

Aha! I made a small movie on the above!Scene 1:----------colleague calls netfreak deskphone:hello, netfreak, where are u? can u come over to my cubicle?netfreak (sleeping on bed at home):man i am too busy at work. kaam kar kar ke pareshan ho gaya hu. i can not come too busy man.netfreak hangs and winks at us (viewer)Scene 2: (on the other end of netfreak - spoiler for netfreak)----------colleague is shown hanging out on beach with a laptop and netfreaks g/f!LOL.

Amish, netfreak, thanks for the inputs. In fact I am in a bit of a fix as I was happily planning to leave Tata and move to the MTNL 590 NU plan but now this 849 NU has put me in a big fix and I am not sure it is worth it for me. I feel I am being made to pay only for bigger bandwith which is of very little use to me.

yes same here.. i had 7star (now tataBB) 223Rs/month and mtnl ~ 310Rs/month. and i wanted stop tataBB as they are forcing me to take their min plan which is 620Rs/month. i had decided to move to 590NU. but now its gone. so i am in fix too. wud go for 399 plan of MTNL now i think.

Aha! I made a small movie on the above!

hehe..

Only thing is "Presence Indicator" will give colleague away

this 849 NU has put me in a big fix and I am not sure it is worth it for me.

256 kbps is more then enough if WKF is your objective. Go for 590NU and use rest of budget for occasional Youtube visits 😉

just to give u some idea abt using proxy...my proxy blocks abt 14000 links per week mostly images. if u assume 3k per image. it wud be 42MB saved per week. so approx 170MB per month. plus my proxy caches data too which serves abt 125MB from cache per week. so abt 500MB per month.my avg use is abt 1.5GB a month and proxy saves me atleast 600MB a month. thats lots of money too.1 more and last update.. spending too much time on this analysis..i went to times of india site with proxy..and it consumed 100Kand then i did direct connection.. and it consumed 175Kso u can imagine proxy saves lots of MB and moneyover and out!

Yaa, you can save a lot by using proxy.Or if you are not using PPPOE, you can turn on filtering on your router/WiFi AP as well.

I don't know why the 64k UL plan being discontinued is getting sooooo much talk. 64k is so 2000. Go for thr 512 UL!

256 kbps is more then enough if WKF is your objective. Go for 590NU and use rest of budget for occasional Youtube visits 😉

Dude 590NU is dead 😗

just to give u some idea abt using proxy...

my proxy blocks abt 14000 links per week mostly images. if u assume 3k per image. it wud be 42MB saved per week. so approx 170MB per month. plus my proxy caches data too which serves abt 125MB from cache per week. so abt 500MB per month.

my avg use is abt 1.5GB a month and proxy saves me atleast 600MB a month. thats lots of money too.

1 more and last update.. spending too much time on this analysis..

i went to times of india site with proxy..and it consumed 100K
and then i did direct connection.. and it consumed 175K

so u can imagine proxy saves lots of MB and money

over and out!
Thanks for this suggestion Amish. It was an eye opening analysis for me! Am going to do this and see how many MB I can save...

Status
Not open for further replies.