Google Orkut Social Network Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter pushkar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 217
  • Views Views 62,535
still much better than orkut. the programming is sleek and their features are pretty impressive. just that they have to stop the annoying applications from infringing ur privacy.

yup facebook is much better than orkut.i ignore most of the annoying apps. there are too many apps coming up.

Interesting while the tech ignorant still stick with orkut, the more tech savvy are already getting tired of facebook.So what's the next wave of apps then ?

I'm close to closing my facebook account - toooooooooooooo many trashy "apps." I think I may go old school and not be on any social networking site.. as it is it's getting to be a little annoying knowing what everyone is doing everyday of their lives.But I will miss Scrabulous 🙂

around 4 to 5 communities that I am a member was hacked and was having explicit content.. so hurriedly deleted them and also reduced the no of communities by 1/4th.

Hell yeah, I was going through my communities the other day and was wondering when the hell I became a member of the "gay, lesbian & bi-sexual" community! After I investigated a bit, I realized it was originally the BSNL Broadband community :S

What fun!
Brian.

Is the orkut same for all the countries or is it different sites for different countries?For example, the community for new york times has 66 members only whereas times of india community has 4600 members. I think even though all orkut users type only orkut.com, orkut takes us to Orkut India site seeing our IP address. Is it like that? Or is it because no one in USA goes to orkut and hence only 66 members for nyt?can you explain a bit?

Or is it because no one in USA goes to orkut and hence only 66 members for nyt?
This is more like it.
What do you expect from millions, who have Internet access, out of a billion, who don't value their time?

A website (URL) is same anywhere on earth. If URL changes then the website can change.

I heard that in US, some other community site FACEBOOK is popular then Orkut which is most popular in India

But orkut has more users from usa than India. You check yourself by doing this-

Anyone having orkut account please go to following link. orkut - About

after that, in left side, click 'Demographics'.
You will be asked username and password. After giving, it will show some stats saying total number of users in USA for orkut is more than total number of users for orkut coming from India. So, I seriously suspect some IP address based redirecting to local website is done by orkut.

Anyone living in USA, please help by visiting new york times community page in orkut using your connection in USA and tell me how many members are there for new york times in orkut.

thanks

Well.. USA has 18.06% and India has 15.81%. Just 2 percent more. Dunno the exact reason why NYT community has less members than TOI. But orkut is the same all over the world. Only the home page changes country-wise. Like when its Independence Day in India, they show India's flag and stuff like that.

Its just that there are heck lot of more people browsing net regularly in USA then in India . Most of people just make their account an never bother .Orkut is not popular in USA . facebook and myspace are much widely used there .

in India we have nothing better than Orkut so ppl actually use their profiles.... but in US only Facebook and Myspace are popular... so US ppl register on orkut just lyk that but not that active... and also take into account the tons of spam profiles..... even among the 66 members of NYT most of them are Indians...

even among the 66 members of NYT most of them are Indians...

This is also interesting

I think the interface is customized according to the country of the logged in member. For example, we had a completely different interface for the Diwali season, but I dont think that would have been introduced in profiles of americans etc as well.

If orkut is changing the home page according to IP, you can verify using any proxy login webpages, who hides your IP and provide a mask.